chapter 8

I sit in my quarters, tapping away on my console, with a bowl of what I assume is pasta resting on the coffee table, as I review our formation and doctrine. It didn't really matter too much before, but now I can't get it out of my head.

How do we organize ourselves when we don't know what we're up against? Do I assume that the same kinds of enemies exist in this world as in the game? But that would mean abyssals are a threat, and their numbers increase exponentially with the number of people in the area. Each station is around three trillion each, and with seven stations like that, it's certain death.

Well, that's making the assumption that it works the same as the game. If it's a small number, we might have a chance if our Hilbert Wave generator works and we have enough time to activate it.

What do we do about hostile nations? Are they open to talking with us and coming to a peaceful resolution, or are they just going to plunder with little regard to loss of life?

I glance at the false window to see the Admiral Eduard with its Ultra Relativistic Electron Beam, cannons, facing forward in their turrets.

I let out a long breath and close my eyes thinking through the consequences of using these things for real. Can I bring myself to order them to fire them sentient beings? Will I hesitate in a moment of life and death?

I hate them more than the Prolix. Not because of how useless it is but because of how effective it is. Upon hitting a ship the Electrons cause the release of gamma rays due to the Bremsstrahlung effect. Essentially the inside of the ship gets sterilized in an instant even if it appears intact from the outside.

Not to mention if you are unlucky enough to still be conscious after the impact. Instant burns, blindness, nausea, loss of mortar function, inability to breath and so forth. I've seen the after effects during a boarding action, the smell of burning flesh from the roasted flesh strewn about, many were rushing to their battle stations and just died on the spot. Wails of agony were coming from the few who were still breathing. All we could offer was a swift end to their suffering.

I shudder from the memory and open my eyes. War is brutal at the end of the day morality take a back seat to winning the fight.

"I should keep him next to me," I mutter as I make a note. Supper weapons should be kept on a tight leash right?

"Hey Eira, what are you up to?" Frieda says in her usually cheery voice, popping up on the window. Bright red hair flows over her white lab coat.

"Before I answer that, have you been told about what's happened?"

"I have but I really don't care that much," she says, tilling her head to the side and puts her finger at the corner of her lip. "I get to do research without having to worry about funding. Besides, I'm having fun trying to jailbreak the food printer."

"Well I was reorganizing our fleet." I set the laying console on the couch before letting my head fall back against the wall. "What about your kids? Did they get sucked in as well?"

"I've been told that they're under the care of my nanny," Frieda suddenly looks off towards the direction of a sound. "Sara seems to be one of the few non-family brought in. Having someone they know is helping them adjust."

"Ok... what is the update about the Cryo pods?"

"We have one stable and two in critical condition," she says in the same manner you would talk about a child's art from school. "the one who's stable has cute cat ears coming out of her head believe it or not. Also her clothes are really fancy."

I probably should ask if this girl is even human with those ears but I'll get her off topic.

I nod, absorbing the information. "And the others?"

Frieda sighs, her expression growing more serious. "The two in critical condition are showing signs of severe neurological damage. We're doing everything we can, but their chances of survival are slim."

"I'm assuming that the other pods didn't make it."

"Sadly no, we couldn't even get them to a brain dead state." a voice comes from off screen causing Frieda's eyes to light up. "I got to go, they just woke up. Oh before I go, have a good night."

She disconnects, leaving me to myself. Maybe I should get some rest before I burn myself out.

Walking over to the bed I slide off my overcoat and hang it up in my wardrobe, before just throwing myself at the bed like a child.

It's softer than I expected, hugging every curve of my body perfectly. Beckoning for me to give into sleep embrace.