04: Consequences

Gim, Qua-Toyne Principality
April 7th 1639

"On my command, fire!"

Lourian cannons roared as the siege of Gim began in earnest, a combination of large cannonballs and high-explosive shells battering the Qua-Toynese earthworks. Lourian combat mage teams also began thier bombardment with fireballs and rocks pounding on the reinforced walls of the fortress, all while trenches were being dug towards the Qua-Toynese line to assault the earthworks directly.

The original Lourian plan was to take these border forts by surprise, with the Lourian military taking great care to mask the assembling of troops and making sure to march at night to conceal thier position from any Qua-Toynese scouts. These plans seemed to have failed, as instead of an exposed target, they were met with a veritable fortress, with earthworks, ditches and wooden palisades supplementing the formidable fortress walls. The settlements around the fortress was not much better, with the settlement around the fortress found razed and salted, with houses lit ablaze, granaries unstocked and wells tainted. Those who were left behind were not treated kindly by the invaders, with anyone captured being subject to a grueling fate.

This meant that Louria would have to crack open this egg the old fashioned way, and while the Elves may have done much to prepare, they were outnumbered almost four to one.

Within one of the trenches, a young combat mage by the name of Louise gripped her staff tightly as shells and magic landed mere meters away. Sensing her nervousness, a hand found itself on her head in a reassuring pat.

She didn't need to turn her head to know who it was

"Damian" She said "We are in combat. Not right now"

The blende haired boy behind her smiled, before retracting his hand. "Apologies, I just thought you were a bit nervous."

"I am, but there's a time and place for everything Dami-"

Before she could finish her sentence, her eyes caught a glimpse of a fireball that was heading straight towards thier trench, threatening to enter it and turn whoever was caught into a crisp. Instinctively, she channeled her magical energy into a spell, reciting the magic words as fast as she could.

"Aldonia... Victory's call, make me unshakable! [Barrier!]"

In an instant, a rush of magic exited Louise's body, with the spell weaving a magical inscription in midair, forming a barrier between the trench and the fireball. Upon impact, the searing coagulation of magic dissipated with a fiery heat, the force of the impact almost knocking Louise to the ground, only managing to stay upright due to Damien catching her

"Are you alright?"

"Took out a chunk of my mana but I can still fight."

For the next hour or two, Lourian mages and combat engineers dug thier way through the soft Rodenian soil, with the assault troops following closely behind. The tension brewed as the tunnel inched closer and closer to the Qua-Toynese lines, eager soldiers just waiting to be unleashed upon the enemy.

Fortunately or unfortunately, they wouldn't have to wait that long, as the engineers leading the expedition were suddenly turned into a fine red mist by an explosion.

"Countermine!" Damien shouted "All units, respond!"

Assault troops rushed the incident area as the smoke still cleared, with silhouettes of elves and beastmen visible through the dust. Both sides noticed each other's presence immediately, and in a bid to take out the Lourian's quickly, the Qua-Toynese mages made thier move, with the Lourians being forced on the defense.