Chapter 6: The Wen Doctor

"Wei Ying! Wei Ying!"

Lan Zhan shook Wei Ying's body, however, not a response in return. A physician was in the same room as the two, inspecting the man in bed's body with much haste and prescision. With a sigh, Lan Hu, the physiscian, shook his head.

"Hanguang Jun, this is a poison I can't cure. I have a way to give Master Wei more time, but the inevitable will surely happen."

"No... No, no, no, no! Not again... Not again..." Lan Zhan covered his face with a hand, the other in Wei Ying's hand, and knelt down, reminiscing of the time 17 years ago. "If only Wen Qing was here..."

Wen Qing.

She's still in the realm of the living, right?

Lan Zhan, having a plan in mind, grabbed his guqin and ran outside, playing Inquiry to search for the doctor's soul. He played for hours, asking every single soul for Wen Qing. He played till even his fingers bled, crimson on the tip of his fingers, staining the white silk of his robes.

Suddenly, a response.

"Lan Er Gongzi (Second Young Master Lan)?" A familiar voice said. Her tone, vicious but kind, brought Lan Zhan peace in his mind as the body of the Wen appeared before him.

"Wen guoniang (Lady Wen)," Lan Zhan spoke. "It's Wei Ying. He's poisoned."

"That patriarch actually got poisoned? Hah! Aish, that man... Anyways, do you know what the poison is? Water based, oil based, anything?"

"It's a liquid mineral base. We call it 'Spring acid'. It's highly dangerous, and we do not have an exact cure at the moment."

"Spring acid? If I'm not mistaken, when I was traveling with Wen Chao - unwillingly, mind you - I found a bottle of it in a shop in Moling. I bought a bottle to experiment on it. One of his dregs got poisoned by it, and I made a cure."

"Do you remember what it was?"

"Certainly! Now listen to me closely. Crush crystalized quartz and salt. Mixed well, and add mushrooms, cinnamon, cranberries, blueberries, and cloves. Grind it until it's a powder. Knowing your Gusu Lan arm strength, that shouldn't be a problem. Add palm oil or vegetable oil, mix it again, and add milk. And add a jar of wine, too. Emperor's Smile of Gusu is too light and won't be as effective. A Yunmeng liqour or if you can salvage a bottle, a Qishan liqour. And before you ask, it's to help cure the wound. Unless it's internal damage."

"Wen guoniang, you have my thanks." Lan Zhan was already running.

~~~

"If it's from Wen Qing, then it'll surely work!" Lan Hu exclaimed.

He sent disciples to fetch the ingredients and began making it with haste. Lan Zhan was no expert in medical fields, so he sat next to the bed in the Jingshi and stroked Wei Ying delicately, hoping that Wei Ying would hold on a little longer. The physiscian had also made a cinnamon paste for Lan Zhan's fingers with the leftover cinnamon. Carefully, Lan Hu tilted the bowl by Wei Ying's mouth, the solution flowing into his throat. After that, they let Wei Ying rest for a little while.

~~~

"A-Yuan, will Wei shishu be fine?" Jin Ling asked as he leaned on Sizhui for support.

"He should be. Qing-jiejie's remedies are the best of the best. It's impossible to fail," Sizhui beckoned.

"I hope so."

"Sect Leader Jin, Little Sizhui, this will help your wounds." Lan Hu gave the two the cinnamon paste for external wounds.

Jin Ling and Sizhui sat down, helping each other to put the paste on. Sizhui summoned his guqin as Jin Ling looked at him in awe. Playing Inquiry, he looked for Wen Qing, not realizing that she was hovering over Sizhui. Her body materializing, she looked at her little A-Yuan with glee.

"A-Yuan," She said, her voice resonating kindness.

"Thank you for saving Wei Qianbei," Sizhui said. "I-"

"It's no problem, really. He saved me many times, so this is just a small repayment."

"You're Wen Qing!" Jin Ling exclaimed. "The stories really did no justice on you and the Wen Clan. I... I apologize on behalf of the Jin Clan."

"The past is the past, Jin Rulan. I-"

"Jin Rulan? Who's that?"

"Did that failure of an uncle really not tell you?"

"Qing-jiejie, what do you mean?" Sizhui asked.

"Jin Ling, courtesy name Jin Rulan. All because it was Wei Ying who gave the name? That just makes me wanna slap him even more!" Wen Qing cried out, infuriated by Jiang Cheng's stupidity.

"Wei shishu... gave me my courtesy name?" Jin Ling stared at his once-dead uncle.

"Yes, A-Ning told me what had happened at Yiling's local town. Your mother was only a few days pregnant and traveled all the way to Yiling just to ask Wei Ying for your courtesy name. I got to say, your mother was one strong woman."

"Sizhui," Lan Zhan called. "Wei Ying's half awake."

"A-Yuan, you should go. If he's awake, I'm out. Stay safe." Wen Qing disappeared.