Chapter 1: Goodbye and Goodnight

**THIS STORY, AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED IN THE DESCRIPTION, SHIFTS BETWEEN THE PERSPECTIVE OF ROWAN, AND HITORI, HENCE THE TITLE, AN "OUT OF TUNE" STRUCTURE**

^ - Start of Rowan's perspective.

/ - Start of Hitori's perspective

hope you enjoy this weird little work i shat out of my brain lol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The shrill sound of a beeping alarm clock filled the room, already on its fifth cycle. I turned my body around in my bed, squinting at the time. It read 4:02 AM.

We had to leave in two hours. Why am I the only one awake? Mother always scolded me for not getting ready in time.

I've been laying in bed completely awake for the past hour, letting each alarm run one by one so I wouldn't fall asleep. It was probably unhealthy for me to stay awake like this. I don't know why but I heard ringing in my ears.

I shifted my body and looked out my window, my curtains already hooked off of the curtain holder. It was a beautiful night out. The full moon, the stars, and the broken streetlamps.

What the...

A shooting star!

Right, now's my only opportunity to change my life completely!

Wish...

I was confused. It was still there.

No, why is it red?

And it's flashing.

It was a plane.

I sighed and turned my body to face away from the window. Someone as pathetic as me didn't deserve to look out at the night sky.

It bothered me that I had to transfer to a completely different school. But eventually, I'd have to stop caring.

I would miss my friends, but they wouldn't miss me, would they?

Now that the thought crossed my mind, I didn't really have friends. It's just people I'd speak to once in a while.

I'm extroverted, I'm not scared to talk to people.

Why don't I have friends?

Maybe I come off too strong, or maybe I'm not interesting enough. Whatever it was, it was like there was a 'keep out' sign around me.

Nobody would notice if I stopped coming to school.

The last time I had spent real time with a classmate after school was in fifth grade, when I went to a friend's house. After that, I wasn't allowed to hang out with him ever again. I never knew why.

Until the day after, when his mother called my own and told her I had laced their cat's food with bleach.

Yikes.

I'm much older now, fourteen, soon turning fifteen. I made less stupid decisions now that I was in high school and more "mature".

I didn't like high school as much as I did junior high. I had friends then. But they were just there to laugh or make jokes, kind of like a traveling circus. After school hours, there was no one-on-one conversation, no plans made with me. I was always left out.