Chapter 5- Adoption

Four months have passed since my first day of school, and we all got an end of the semester break. Kate and I were eating breakfast, when Mrs. Viotto came to us.

"Artemis, come meet me in the office. There's someone who wants to see you."

I stood up and went to the office. There, a man and a woman sat there. The man looked around 35, and he had brown hair and a mustache. He was about 6 feet tall, and his bright blue eyes were staring right at me. The woman looked the same age as the man next to her but was a little shorter than the man next to her. She had brunette hair and emerald green eyes. She, too, was staring at me.

"Trey, Bonnie, this is Artemis," said Mrs. Viotto. She turned to me. "They might adopt you." We sat down. We started talking, and I started to think that I would have fun living with them.

"You seem like a nice girl," said Trey. He looked at Mrs. Viotto. "We'll take her."

"Ok, great! Artemis, why don't you gather your belongings?"

"Ok." I didn't know what to feel. I was happy to have a family, but I was sad to leave the orphanage. Especially Kate. Oh well, I guess I don't have a choice, I thought. I went to my dorm to pack up my stuff. Kate came in.

"What's happening?" she asked.

I looked at her. "I'm moving." She didn't say anything, but instead hugged me. We hugged and hugged, and when it was time to leave, we said goodbye to each other as I left our dorm.

I started walking toward the office with my belongings when I ran into George. "What's going on?" he asked me.

"I'm getting adopted," I replied. I looked into his black, beady eyes and thought of how scared I was of that man. That man. It was the first time I thought of him in months. I shook hands with George and continued thinking of the first night I saw the man who murdered my stepmother and Calla. When I got to the office, I said bye to Mrs. Viotto and got in Trey and Bonnie's car.

"So, Artemis, are you happy to live with us?" asked Bonnie.

"Uhh... yeah," I replied. 

"I know it must be hard leaving your orphanage, but we'll have a lot of fun," said Trey.

 When we got to their apartment, they showed me around. You would enter through the living room which was connected to the kitchen. There was a hall that led to the four bedrooms and two bathrooms. They let me pick which bedroom I wanted, so I picked the one with the best view. The room itself had a bed, a vanity, and a closet. I unpacked everything and went to dinner with Trey and Bonnie.

Living with Trey and Bonnie was good starting off. Bonnie homeschooled me, Trey taught me how to wrestle, and I taught them some art skills.

Everything was great for a week, but then things started to get weird.