Chapter 4: Everlong

God, the last time I've seen a band play live was a few years ago with my ex. He took me to see Foo Fighters cuz he knew it was my favorite band. I was crazy about them. He even bought The Colour and the Shape on cd for my last birthday. I remember we started that day with a fight though. Before we left to go to the concert, he started going on about how I always lose the keys. Again. I felt the tension thicken between us as the day went by. The silent car ride, the passive aggressive sighs, the lack of affection were all getting to me. When we got there, I tried to enjoy the moment. Feel the music, admire the stage presence, sing along. But I just felt...off. And I knew he did too because he didn't look at me, or say anything when my favorite song started playing. 

"Is something wrong?"

"No. Why do you always thing something is wrong? Just relax."

And out of the red

Out of her head she sang...

"I would be relaxed if you just talk to me-"

"Y/N! I don't wanna talk to you!"

"Ok, don't! It's not like you to listen anyway."

"Listen to what? All you do is complain when I'm just trying to give you the best I can. All I've given you is the best. No other guy could love you like I can. Am I not perfect enough, hun?!"

"I never wanted you to be perfect. I just want you. But you've put yourself behind this fake ass persona for some reason and expect me to be satisfied with that. Now look at you, you don't even know who you are."

And I wonder

When I sing along with you

If everything could ever be this real forever 

"Oh, I know who I am. And I know I can't do this anymore."

If anything could ever be this good again

"Me neither!"

The only thing I'll ever ask of you

You've gotta promise not to stop when I say when

"Y/n, why'd you make me do this? We had something good, but you had to ruin it."

"You didn't deserve something this good."

She sang.