Prologue

Piebald lay in a field of flowers, the field was surrounded by a huge this forest that had such a big canopy that the field was hidden beneath it. His fluffy white fur helped him blend in with the flowers, the only give away was his dyed curly red mane and tail, said mane and tail had streaks of yellow and blue. His tail flicked from side to side. the flight feathers on his wings were a lovely red. Most considered him rather normal, except for two things. Those two things being his love for dangerous plants and his condition. His way too long mane covered his eyes, hiding the pure black sockets and the small pink glowing orbs that would be his irises if his eyes were normal. He sighed and watched as birds flew past. He wanted so badly to leave the little town he had grown up in but, he couldn't leave his husband. Not when his husband was sick. "Time to get home" muttered Piebald.

When stepped inside he was met with the smell of blood. "Hunny did you get out?" Called Piebald. He closed the door and headed for the kitchen. Where the smell was the strongest. A light blue unicorn was digging through the fridge. "There you are" said Piebald quietly. The unicorn looked up, a veil hung from his face. "I picked up groceries on the way home, give me a few minutes to make you something" said Piebald. The pony nodded and moved out of the way. "Did something downstairs make you come out?" He questions. "Hungry" rasps the unicorn. "Alright, anything you want in particular?" He asks. The unicorn shakes his head. "Alright, get yourself some water and then go settle yourself on the couch, I'll clean the basement while you eat" Says Piebald. The unicorn nods.

It was only a few minutes later when Piebald brought out food. "Eat up ok?" Said Piebald giving the unicorn a kiss. "When I met you, I though you would be like all the other purebred pegasi, stuck up, but your so sweet" rasped the unicorn unexpectedly. "I have to agree with you on that, most purebreds, no matter the breed, are stuck up" answered Piebald. The unicorn nodded and turned his attention the his food.

Piebald made his way to the basement. It was a horrific sight. Blood, old and new, coated the walls. The once grey wall to wall rug was soaking wet with the red liquid. Piebald shook his head and sighed. It would take a long while to get everything cleaned up. The bed in the far corner of the dark space was ruined. I'll have to get him a new one thought Piebald shaking his bangs out of his face. The unicorn poked his flank. Piebald turned to face him. "Sorry" whimpered the unicorn. "It's fine" replies Piebald placing a wing over him. "Why is this happening?" Asked the unicorn. "I don't know, but I promise Oprus I'll find a way to help you" promised Piebald. "Is this why they say halfbreds are bad?" Asked Oprus. "No, this, this is a sickness, not a result of you being a halfbred" said Piebald stamping a hoof on the bottom step. Oprus nodded nervously. "Oprus, I love you and we will get to the bottom of this" said Piebald. Oprus nodded and leaned on him.

"Can I help?" Asked Oprus watching Piebald clean. "Love you need rest" said Piebald. "Please!" Whined Oprus desperate to be useful. "Alright but if you get tired, rest, and keep that bucket near you" relented Piebald. Oprus nodded excitedly and scrambled over to his bed. He started by stripping the sheets. Piebald turned back to the walls. He stopped when he heard retching sounds. He looked back to see Oprus heaving as blood spurted out of his mouth. "It's ok Oprus, just try to breath in between heaves" said Piebald sadly. Tears fell from Oprus. "it'll be ok, I'm getting closer to finding a doctor who'll actually help you" said Piebald comfortingly. Oprus nodded leaned on the tall pegasus. "It's ok, I'll make sure you get better" says Piebald running a hoof through the unicorns mane.

Oprus fell on his haunches and leaned back. "I'm sorry" murmured Oprus. You have nothing to be sorry for" replied Piebald hugging him. "Thank you, for caring" wheezed Oprus burying his head into Piebalds chest. Mmmm "you smell nice" said Oprus. "Do I?" Asked Piebald trying not to breath in the coppery scent. Oprus nodded. "Go upstairs, get a pillow to sit on, a blanket if you want one, and go sit next to the tub" said piebald letting go of him. Oprus stood and took the blood filled bucket with him. "Hopefully you can find another doctor soon" said Oprus climbing the stairs. "I will I promise" Piebald yelled after him.

A letter appeared out of thin air and hit Piebald on the head as it fell. "Ow" he grumbled picking up the letter. "Can't read shit down here" thought Piebald slightly annoyed. Upstairs he opened the letter and began to read.

Dear patient:
I would be happy to make a house visit but based on what you've told me, he may need to be moved to the emergency room as soon as possible, I'll be there by this evening, I take it that's fine since you wanted any doctor here as soon as possible.
Sincerely: DR. Winter

"Oprus, I got you a doctor" yelled Piebald skidding to a stop in the bathroom doorway. Oprus stopped vomiting long enough to smile. "He'll be here this evening, so don't you worry about a thing, you'll be ok" murmurs Piebald hugging him. "Thank you" said Oprus.