Chapter- 1 Giving Space!

Sunshine Orphanage.

Reaching the destination, everyone hopped out of the car. Aakriti was just numb and silent the whole ride; neither did she talk nor did anyone try to initiate the conversation, trying to give her the space she needed. Everyone looked at Aakriti, whose eyes were fixed on the Orphanage. They didn't understand the reason behind their visit, yet kept quiet, not wanting to offend her. Aakriti looked at Samarth, who without any word, went to his car and brought a big bag with him and handed it over to her.

She turned towards her family, "Aap aana chaiye toh aa sakte hain or you can wait here."

Arnav shook his head, "We will come with you."

Aakriti nodded and made her way towards the main door. She slowly opened it and went inside, followed by her family.

"Miss Mary!" Samarth called out a bit loudly.

Within a few minutes, the warden came out along with the kids who saw Aakriti and pounced on her, taking her in a bear hug. Arnav and Aditya held her in support to break the fall.

"Di, aap kitne dino baad aayi humse milne."
"Haa, humne aapko kitna miss kiya."
"Specially Payal ne. Aapko pata hai na uska birthday hai aaj. Vo bahut gussa hai kisi se baat bhi nahi kar rahi hai."
"Aur na hi apna birthday celebrate kar rahi hai."
"Mumma nahi aapke saath Di?"
"Kitne din ho gaye unke haath ka khana kha ke hue."
...
The kids were going on and on with their complaints and questions while Aakriti stood there trying to gather her thoughts. She wished she could tell them what she lost, she wished she could tell them what they all lost but held herself back.

She came out of her thoughts when Mary shook her gently, "Is everything fine, Kirti?"

Aakriti nodded and forced a smile looking at the kids, "Kaha hai Payal?"

"Bahar garden mein. Bahut upset hai di," one kid said.

Aakriti sighed, "Arrey, kya koi apne birthday wale din bhi upset hota hai? Chalo, abhi usse chal ke maante hain. Cake khaana hai na sabko."

Everyone hooted in joy and made their way towards the garden, dragging Aakriti along. Mary looked at Shashank, "Avantika kahan hai?"

Shashank shook his head sadly, making her eyes well up. She looked at Aakriti, who was trying to talk to Payal. Her heart went out for the girl who was trying her best to keep her emotions in check. She wished she could provide Aakriti the comfort she needed, but she knew Aakriti would never lean on anyone for that.

"Yeh Aakriti ki family hai. Arnav Rajpoot..." Shashank said, introducing the family to Mary.

"Yeh sabh....?" Arnav wasn't able to gather the correct words to ask about what he was seeing or what was happening, and neither was the family. They were all able to see the turmoil going on in Aakriti's eyes, which she was trying to hide by putting up a fake smile.

"Your mother used to fund this orphanage; she used to take care of the kids as if they were her own. Yaha ke sabhi bacche Avantika aur Kriti ko jaante hain. Har ek festival dono yaha par he celebrate karte the sabhi baccho ke sath," Shashank explained, understanding Arnav's hesitation.

Mary looked at Shashank, "How did all this happen?"

Shashank sighed, "Yesterday Avantika fainted suddenly. Her situation wasn't already better, and there were no chances to save her. So..." he trailed off as Aakriti walked inside following a skuling Payal and kids.

"Aakriti, "Guys, at least listen to me!" They all sat down in a circle, looking away from her. Aakriti sighed and sat beside 15-year-old Payal. The girl was 13 when she met Aakriti in a situation better forgotten. After talking to her, Aakriti found out how abusive and cruel the earlier warden was with the kids. Aakriti told her mother everything, and within 24 hours, the man who used to take care of the orphanage was behind bars. Avantika, being a journalist and social activist, helped, and they did what was needed. The kids got a new warden, Mary, provided by the government. Avantika took the initiative in taking care of the supplies and other stuff for the kids. It didn't matter if they were short of money or food; both mother and daughter did their best in providing the necessities for the kids... their first priority!