Chapter 4

As a fragment of the memory from my first conversation with Jungkook has been added, now, let's shift our focus to the bedroom setting where the conversation with my mother unfolded.

Though the puppy's voice was barely audible, it somehow managed to reach my mother's ears. She raised her straight eyebrow, signaling for my explanation. I continued the remaining part of my narration, but this time, not in a storytelling manner like before; instead, I rushed little through it.

"After hearing the sweet sound emanating from the white box, I couldn't resist opening it. To my delight, I discovered this little puppy," I said, pointing to the dog in my hand, picked up while narrating the previous sentence.

"The little puppy seemed to read my mind and helped me back to my bed. As I was concerned about my jacket getting wet in the rain, the thoughtful pup assisted me without a cue," I added with a grateful yet amazed tone in my voice.

"Since he helped through my misfortune, I gave my words to him that I will protect him, share my favorite food, my bed, will always keep his secret with myself, and never leave him lonely like those who left him." It was not just a part of my narration; I pledged with sincerity and warmth in my voice, sealing the bond with my newfound companion.

My mother has always been sharp. Right from the start, she knew that if I brought up a story like this, it was likely a cover-up for another mistake I might have made. Yet, she still listened patiently; because she always enjoyed hearing the imaginative tales I spun to veil my errors. If the story pleased her, the scolding level would be reduced; if not, I would face the original, unlimited scolding along with a possible round of beating. This was my only escape route from the scolding phase.

"Is that the reason you brought the dog to our house, and now you want to raise this little one?" The tone of her voice and the sentence she uttered made me think she might reject the adorable puppy. Last night, I vowed to myself that if she didn't agree to let me raise the puppy, I'd survive solely on junk food.

Unexpectedly, what I had anticipated didn't leave her mouth; instead, she said something I hadn't imagined the night before. "No problem with me; you can raise him," adding a condition, "But you have to look after him with much care." Upon hearing this, my small form went into utter shock; there was not the slightest movement from my body for nearly a minute.

Years later, I finally learned the story behind how Kim Yeontan, my cherished first dog, effortlessly found his way into our family, without the usual relentless begging on my part - a common sight when it came to acquiring the latest toys. Unbeknownst to me, my persistent hints and requests for a dog hadn't fallen on deaf ears. In the months leading up to that special day, my family had quietly been considering gifting me a little dog for my birthday.

The clever twist came when, unaware of their plan, I picked up a free dog for myself. Later, I discovered that my spontaneous choice not only fulfilled my long-standing wish but also significantly reduced the financial burden on my family. The cost they had initially set aside to purchase a dog was effortlessly moved out of our monthly expenditure plan, making the addition of my first best friend, Yeontan, not just a heartwarming gift but also a financially savvy decision orchestrated behind the scenes.

This is the story of how my beloved first best friend, silently entered our family. Following the principle of 'first comes first served,' Yeontan swiftly won my heart and became my initial and cherished companion. The second, and ultimately the last until my final breath, was Jungkook.

However, a peculiar dynamic unfolded between them. At times, I observed them creating scenes, seemingly vying for my attention to determine who held a more significant place in my heart. Jungkook being the second-best friend, occasionally felt bothered, while Yeontan felt neglected when I spent time with Jungkook. Despite their efforts, the answer they sought was one they never received.