1|| The Proposal

I was eating a mango when the proposal happened.

It was a delicious mango with a soft, sweet texture, and ripe scent that paired perfectly with the inferno summer's day. I closed my eyes in pure bliss as the taste exploded in my mouth, not caring that juice dribbled down my arm and stained the blue dress I'd received for this body's birthday. It had been far too long since I'd last been able to enjoy this fruit, and no amount of disgusted looks or pointed coughs would sully this moment for me.

Besides, the proposal wasn't for me anyways.

I watched a poor chap break away from his huddle of friends, wincing in sympathy as I spotted the bouquet of roses (clichéd, much?) and a small, blue box in his sweaty hands. He used his knuckles to wipe away the sweat that had accumulated on his forehead and took a deep breath, approaching the pretty blonde girl who was happily chatting with her friends.

"U-um, Calista?" he squeaked, shoving the flowers into her chest as he got down on one knee. "I- I have something to say!"

The girl took a step back, her head tilted in confusion. "William? Are you hurt?"

"N-No! Not at all." William took a deep breath and, with some fumbling and muttered curses, managed to open the box with one hand, revealing a silver ring with a single diamond that was roughly the size of a walnut. "Calista, I must confess, you are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen–" Dude, no. "– and I lay awake at night, dreaming about your luscious locks and your crystal-like eyes while whispering your angelic name into my pillow." Please stop. "I have been driven mad with desire, and you are the culprit!" I am about to throw up. "Please, accept my proposal, and be my bride!"

Few people can pull off a romantic speech in public. William was not one of them.

An uneasy silence settled over the courtyard with hundreds of eyes landing on Calista, greedily analysing every microexpression and fidgeting gesture she made. Her hands gripped the pale purple fabric and she glanced around before her eyes landed on me. With widening eyes, she mouthed, Help me, please!

Ding!

My eyes fluttered shut for a moment before glancing at the navy sign hovering beside me.

New challenge unlocked!
Save 'Calista' from the proposal to get one step further towards completing an Incident!
Incidents completed: 3/16

I scowled as the message disappeared, wiping my hands clean with a handkerchief. I hated getting involved in the main story- the price paid was too high- but if this damned system demanded it, then who was I to disobey?

Rising to my feet, I had taken off my shoes due to the warm weather, and tried not to jump around like a buffoon while standing on the hot soil. I adopted the haughty expression and crossed the field to be by Calista's side. The only way was a meandering stone path that cut through the garden and sizzled in the sun, but I had no time to put on my shoes. The system hadn't given me a time limit, and that meant I had to complete the task now.

"What's going on here?" I asked, trying to maintain a demure smile.

William's brows furrowed and his hips trembled from kneeling for too long. "Back away Lady Jia, this doesn't concern you."

I arched my brow, crossing my right foot behind my left calf and trying to suppress a sob as bolts of heat shot through my legs. "You're harassing my friend. This does concern me."

"Harass?" He spluttered, rising unsteadily to his feet. His face flushed, and a vein throbbed dangerously in his head. "Harass?"

"Yes, you ignorant buffoon. Are those eyes you have merely for decoration? Can you not see how uncomfortable Calista is?" Perhaps I was being too harsh, but blisters were forming on the soles of my feet and I could feel a heat stroke coming on.