11|| Just characters

JIA

Oh. My eyes widened and I sucked in a sharp breath, allowing myself to be ushered to the changing rooms. We must have met in another story. But why can't I remember him?

Like fluffy clouds drifting aimlessly across the horizon, I was in a slight daze as I put on the dress. Twice I'd put it on backwards and once I'd tried to fit my head through the armhole— which had led to a rather depressing spiral of wondering whether my skull had expanded within the last few hours.

The gown was certainly my style; it was tight fitting and flared out in ruffles at the bottom with long sleeves that stopped just past my elbows and a simple design etched in rubies on the bodice. I wouldn't cause heads to turn twice in the crowd, but I definitely wouldn't blend in either. It's perfect.

Finally, when all the body parts had been fitted through the correct holes, I pulled back the curtain to silence. There was no makeover for me, no team to fuss over my appearance, and no character who would compliment my— or rather, Jia's— features while the female lead was around. In fact, the only piece of jewellery I wore was the dragonfly pin. I'd felt a strange, lingering attachment towards it ever since I found myself in this body, and I couldn't help but always wear it.

"You look beautiful."

Those soft words rooted me to the spot and all the moisture evaporated from my mouth when I saw Rowan standing just mere feet away. His eyes were crinkled at the corners and twinkled with a warmth I've only ever seen directed at the main characters. It made a funny feeling erupt in my chest, like my heart was doing somersaults and trying to vault over my stomach.

I cleared my throat and nodded at the assistant, unable to think of any words to say to the Dreamer. "I'll take this one. Kindly send the receipt to Lady Jia to Miss Abney's boarding house for young ladies."

"I'll take this dress too!" Calista called from her position by the mirror. "Could you please direct the payment to the Montfort household?"

The assistant laughed and waved her hand. "Oh, Lady Calista, do not worry! Lord Calix contacted all the boutiques in the district and told them he would handle the payment of whatever dress you ordered."

Calista's smile turned to ice and she gazed at her reflection. For a second, I could have sworn I saw anger in her countenance, but then it smoothed over and became clear as glass as she gushed about how thankful she was to her dear friend.

How odd. I mused in the changing room as I slipped on my previous clothes. I wonder if–

Ding!

I rolled my eyes, exhaustion weighed on my already weary bones as I turned to the woefully familiar blue screen.

Congratulations!

Challenge 'Misunderstanding' has been completed with a resounding success! Character 'Calix' feels jealous of character 'Eric' due to the reveal of his close, childhood friendship with character 'Calista'.

Rewards: 3 Incidents, Sword of Peril

Incidents completed: 8/16

I swore under my breath, digging my nails into my skull. Seems like Rowan and I failed to stop the jealousy. It's impossible to break away from the system, it seems.

A golden glow pierced through the ceiling and I squinted as a tiny object was flung out of it. I caught it with my right hand and frowned. It was a small, silver sword with a brown hilt hanging from a dulled chain. Is this the Sword of Peril? What a letdown.