6|| Jia

The system didn't give me any more tasks, so I decided to celebrate and go back to my accommodations.

Usually, I would check up on Calista or Calix— just to make sure their happy ending was progressing smoothly— but exhaustion dug its claws into my skin and dragged me down. I was beyond the point of caring about anything other than my nice bed at home with a few magic stones to cool my room on this blistering day.

As the sun crawled across the azure sky, the temperature dropped until it was a pleasant type of warmth designed for young people to stroll around the square, hand in hand. They giggled and pushed each other around, away from the judgemental eyes of the adults, a temporary release from their responsibilities. It was a stark contrast to the busy streets I'd seen mere hours ago— but, perhaps, the system simply did not pay any attention to this segment as the main characters weren't present.

The thought of such a secret little place away from the system's prying eyes made me strangely happy.

I passed a young man holding his friend's ribbon above her head, a smile curving my lips as she chased him down the path, her annoyed yells betrayed by her laughs.

The man's grip loosened on the ribbon and it fluttered on the light breeze, swirling and twisting around like a snake being charmed. Without thinking, I reached out to grab it, completely forgetting I was hidden underneath the cloak.

"Woah, Lys, look!" The man exclaimed, pointing with flushed cheeks. "The ribbon stopped all by itself!"

"Do not be absurd, Ruben." Lys rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Objects do not simply stop on their own."

"I'm telling you, this one did!" He insisted.

I chose this moment to drop the ribbon and step past the bickering duo, the echoes of their argument followed me down the cobbled path.

Was I ever that comfortable with someone? I wondered, rubbing my thumb and forefinger between the webbing of my opposite thumb. Did I ever walk side-by-side with another person without a care in the world?

I hope I did.

I hope there's someone in my original world who remembered me. Who cared enough to ask questions, tear down the streets while calling my name, longing for my return. Just like how the supporting roles reacted when the main character went missing.

A humourless chuckle pushed past my lips. Deep down, I knew no one was looking. I can't even be the main character in my own story.

Rowan's words flitted across my mind. Leave the plot and help me go back to my original world, huh?

Nope, don't even think about it. I shook my head, bunching up the soft material of my dress. As I climbed the final uphill, the muscles in my legs burned and begged for a respite I could not give.

But if there is a chance you— no! Stop thinking!

Tucked in the corner of the street was an oppressive building made out of ruby-red bricks slotted next to and on top of each other in neat rows. A sturdy, metal fence ran around the well-trimmed gardens. The flowers were pruned back and detangled in an attempt to keep them from creeping across the border onto the grass. It was a harsh reminder of humanity's desire to curtail nature into the strict, parallel lines they had made. I loathed it.

I pushed back my hood. "System, I'd like to end the time of use for Cloak of Secrets."

With a soft whoosh, the material disappeared. My shoulders straightened and a newfound joy swept through me like a tidal wave. I felt dizzy with temporary euphoria and gripped the bars; the metal cooled my skin and I could settle back into reality.