chapter 1

Jeon Jungkook sat in front of a police officer, a serious expression on his face. His orange jumpsuit stood out against the prison's dark interior, the scraping of his metal chair echoing across the walls. 

"Good morning, Mr. Jeon." The police officer, sat next to a man clad in a suit said, his voice anything but friendly. 

"Good morning." Jungkook gave a short smile, stopping the rocking motion he was making with his chair seconds prior. 

"The purpose of this meeting-" The man next to the officer started, his voice smooth and clear, "is to determine that if released, you would fall into old habits."

"I figured." Jungkook nodded. His prison sentence was set to end that day, his handcuffs serving as a reminder that he wasn't free just yet. 

"So." The man said, looking at Jungkook expectantly. "Will you?"

"I'm not innately a thief." Jungkook cleared his throat. "I made a mistake, trusted the wrong people." He said simply, his brow furrowing. "If I were to be released-" Jungkook faked a tremble in his voice "-well, I'd just want the simple life."

"The simple life." The police officer repeated, raising an eyebrow. 

"Mhm." Jungkook nodded. "You know, settle down, find a job. Pay my rent on time- maybe even pick up basketball again."

"Sounds like quite the dream." The man remarked, a hint of humour in his voice. 

"Well, it's my dream." Jungkook nodded, bowing his head. 

__

"The simple life, really?" The guard at the exit told Jungkook, handing him a packet of his belongings. 

"You heard about that?" Jungkook grinned, slipping on the leather jacket he'd worn when he'd been brought to the police station 3 years prior.

"Who didn't?" The guard chuckled. "How do they believe that shit?"

"Well, Chanyeol, I can be very convincing when I want to be." Jungkook gave the guard a look, locking his watch around his wrist. 

"Yeah, sure." Chanyeol shook his head, "Where are you off to now?" 

"I'm a free man, Yeol, I can go wherever I want." Jungkook said, slicking back his long hair with a wink. 

"God, I won't miss that smug look on your face." Chanyeol rolled his eyes and Jungkook smirked. 

"You'll miss me plenty." Jungkook said, cocking his head. 

"It won't be long before you're back here, locked in a cell." Chanyeol said, only half-joking. "I see that look in your eyes. You're planning something already."

"Maybe I am." Jungkook said, halfway out the door. "But I sure as hell don't plan on getting caught this time."

"We'll see about that." Chanyeol called out, and Jungkook shook his head, exiting the prison's metal gate. 

Jungkook inhaled a fresh breath of air, breaking into a wide smile. Free at last. New York was cold this time of year, a gust of wind causing him to stumble momentarily. He took one last look at the jail- where he'd resided for the past few years- and then took off, not looking back. Making his way to the parking lot, he heard a honk to his left. 

Spinning around, Jungkook turned to face the car, squinting to identify the driver. Upon recognition, he walked up to the car door, settling in the passenger seat. 

"What's up?" He said, leaning back comfortably. 

"That's it?" His friend asked, looking irritated already. "I see you for the first time in three years, and that's what you give me?"