If He Lasts Longer Than You Thought

I was great at slinking, moving silently without being noticed, despite being tall and broad, even for a werewolf.

It was a trait one desperately needed when living among humans. Sometimes I just didn't want to be seen, both as a wolf and as a human.

Why I didn't want to be seen as a wolf spoke for itself. But I'd also, more than once, had to sneak a naughty, curious werewolf puppy out of town. People would definitely have questions if I was seen carrying a wolf pup by the scruff while scolding them for not being more careful.

Today, I'd truly outdone myself. It seemed I was stealthy enough to sneak up on Etienne.

When I arrived home, the vampire was no longer holed up in his room upstairs. He'd probably expected me to stay away longer because I heard him talking. His hushed, anxious voice carried into my workplace as I entered silently through the backdoor.

I held still, pricking up my ears.

I needed every advantage I could get if I was supposed to make Etienne spill the beans to me—everything and anything could be an opening to get him to trust me. And since he sounded stressed, this could be very important information.

If I could be there to be the sympathetic listening ear, that might work in my favour. I'd been told I was good at it. All I needed to do was ensure it looked like I was slowly developing these feelings by getting to know him. I hoped I could. Being dishonest, even if it was to a manipulative vampire, wasn't something I enjoyed doing.

I breathed in and out deeply and closed my eyes, focusing all my attention on Etienne's voice drifting from the living room.

"Yes, he's keeping me locked up in here," Etienne said, sounding frustrated. "And if he's not here, there are other werewolves skulking about outside. What exactly do you want me do to about this? I can't go outside to—"

Etienne went quiet as, presumably, the person on the other side of the line cut him off.

"No, sir. Of course I didn't mean to—" he then stammered before going silent again for a few moments. "...Yes, I understand, sir. I'll handle it."

I raised a brow. I didn't like any part of what I'd just heard. Etienne wanted to escape me. I already knew that, of course, but now I had tangible evidence of it. He, or someone who he took orders from, was plotting against the town. In what kind of way I couldn't tell yet, but I was going to find out.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem I was going to find out today, however. I was late to the party. Whoever was on the phone with Etienne abruptly hung up and the living room went silent again, aside from the vampire sighing deeply.

The phone call must've really done a number on Etienne, because he was visibly startled when I walked into the living room. Like he hadn't heard me enter the house nor walk through the hallway at all.

I was supposed to play nice now as dictated by Ivana's orders, so I swallowed the sarcastic remark I actually wanted to make, going for a neutral question instead. "Is everything alright? You look unsettled."

Unfortunately, Etienne didn't bite. He recovered fast from his surprise. His brow smoothed over and he smiled. "Boris. You weren't just listening in on my private conversation, were you? That would be very bad of you. And of course I'm not unwell. I'm delighted that the most sparkling presence in my life is back home so early."

I snorted and walked further into the room. Etienne watched me closely, like a predator would watch a prey.

"There's no need to be suspicious," I offered with a dismissive wave of my hand. "If I'd been listening in, you would've heard me, right?"