What Happens in the Fey Woods

A bouquet of pleasant scents filled my nose; green tea, flowers, damp earth, and something subtle I couldn't entirely place.

Pleasant as the scents were, however, they didn't smell like home, which woke me up with a start.

I blinked my eyes open to a wooden ceiling—not like a house, but like an actual living tree. It was quite dark in the room, as all the drapes were shut. Outside, the wind howled. Branches creaked and leaves rustled, but our tree house stood unwavering and firm. It was old and strong enough to withstand the raging storm.

I was in the fey woods.

With the vampire.

That was the hint of unfamiliar sweetness I smelled in the sheets, blending in with the various flowers that adorned the walls. The vampire himself was nowhere to be seen, but I knew the fey wouldn't let him leave their domain.

It only reassured me a little. The vampire had plenty of ways to be a pain in the ass without leaving the woods or even the treehouse. I didn't expect him to try to kill me or any of the fey. But falling asleep beside a vampire still seemed like the kind of decision someone with a death wish would make.

Yet... I also felt something had shifted in the treehouse while I was asleep. A storm raged, but the treehouse felt exceptionally calm. It seemed the woods no longer harboured any ill will or ambivalent feelings towards Etienne now. Me falling asleep beside the vampire and him leaving me in peace had calmed the fey woods. Either that, or Etienne had stupidly tried to leave anyway and was dead now.

I knew the vampire must've slept in the bed, else his scent wouldn't still linger like an unwanted guest who didn't understand he'd overstayed his welcome. I shifted myself in a sitting position and then stood, getting away from the bed and Etienne's scent. It was bad enough that I had to admit to myself he appealed to my most primal senses while we were in a place that looked like a honeymoon destination.

The stairs creaked. Etienne ascended the stairs with a steaming cup of tea in his hands. He smirked at me. "Good morning, wolf."

"You're cheerful," I said. "What are you so cheerful about? We're in the fey woods far away from Pinewood last I checked."

Etienne clacked his tongue. "Oh, come on. You're not telling me you're more broody than a vampire now? There's lots of wildlife for you to hunt in these woods. That's what you like, no? Sniffing the trees and running after things? Deer, balls, fire trucks?"

I snorted, but Etienne wasn't entirely wrong. Not in the last place because I needed to find something to eat soon. I had dinner last night, but in my haste to get away from Pinewood I hadn't considered we wouldn't have food in here. At home, I'd simply hunt, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that in the fey woods.

I glanced at Etienne. "Do you need to eat... or drink?" I asked him.

Etienne's smile grew. "Aw, look at your misplaced fussing. I'm good for a week. Vampires are much more efficient than you wolves... Unless you're asking because you want to play fetch and bring me something alive here as a gift?"

The vampire's remarks were sharp as ever, but his tone was lighter. Less snarky. I didn't know if I liked it. Maybe it was our environment making me feel weird. Probably it was his cent. Sniffing him had definitely been a big mistake.

Etienne walked closer to the bed, jutting the cup of tea in my direction. "Here."

I narrowed my eyes, breathing in deeply and smelling the tea. There were many poisonous plants in these woods, after all.