c h a p t e r s i x

Chapter Six - Brothers

adrian

I thought the library would be empty since, you know, it's a house of boys. I question their capabilities of being able to read a book for enjoyment, and the fact that it's a Monday afternoon. I'm sorely mistaken when I see Kaden situated comfortably in one of the beanbag chairs, a book in his hands.

I stop in my tracks, unsure of what to do. Do I leave? Do I stay? Do I say something?

The universe decides for me when Kaden looks up. He spares me a cursory glance and then he's absorbed in his book again. I can't see what he's reading from where I'm standing.

"Uh...hi?"

He flicks his fingers in my direction, almost like a two-finger salute. His version of a greeting apparently.

I guess he doesn't care that I'm here. I shrug and fall into the beanbag chair furthest away from home. God, it's like these chairs were crafted from clouds. They're so soft and so comfortable, I could fall asleep. It'd be easier to do so if Kaden wasn't here. Instead, I flip open my own book, You've Reached Sam, and get to reading.

The silence isn't uncomfortable, not that I would've noticed. I resort to pretending he isn't there and it works fine enough.

"Didn't see you in school today."

I don't look up, afraid my expression would give me away. Of course he didn't see me in school. I tried my damnedest to avoid them. It's the reason I was two -two fucking minutes and he blew it so out of proportion- minutes late to Mr Adams' class. I saw Hayes and I've never turned around so fast in my life. I had to book it to the other staircase on the opposite side of the block.

And anyway, why did he care that he didn't see me in school. He goes to school to get an education, same as me, not to be my personal bodyguard, or spy or whatever-the-hell else.

"I was in class."

"And lunch?"

I look at him, perplexed. Did he actively search for me in school?

"I was outside. In the garden."

"With who?"

What's with the third degree?

"My friends."

He hums back in response and I'm not sure what to interpret it as. Skeptical? Uncaring?

He doesn't elaborate further and I take it to mean the interrogation is over. Deciding I would hate for there to be a part two, I silently stand up to leave. At the same time, Kaden's phone sounds with a text notification. I'm already venturing towards the library door when he brisks past me and he's out the door first.

I freeze, staring at the doorway. Well, he's gone. I don't have to leave the heaven that is the beanbag chair. Would they let me take one of these chairs to my room? I'm sure they would. It's just a chair.

***

I stay in the library until Violet comes to call me down for dinner. The closer I get to the kitchen, the louder the noise gets. They're always so loud.

I slide into the empty seat between Hayes and Reece. It's either between them or isolated on the other side of the table.

I don't join in on the conversation until Elijah asks me, "So, how was your first day of school?"