Chapter 4 (Tessa)

I slowly open my eyes when I hear the sound of rummaging and whispers coming from the living room. That's certainly not little elves. The kids are awake. I quickly turn to Hardin. "Hardin, the kids are awake."

"Hmm? That's nice," he says without opening his eyes before tugging on the covers.

"Hardin, the kids are awake. We need to get up."

"Mmm... Just another hour..."

"Hardin!" I hit him with a pillow. "Get up!"

"No..." he groans.

"You really want to miss your children opening their presents on Christmas morning?"

"Fine..." he groans before sitting up and putting his feet on the floor. "It's your fault I'm so tired."

"My fault? How is it my fault?"

"I wouldn't be so tired if I didn't spend most of the night fucking you."

"Seriously?"

"You missed me and just needed to have me, so I took one for the team." He shrugs.

I can't help but laugh. "I'm so lucky to be married to such a selfless man. Now get downstairs so you can make the kids breakfast." I put on my robe and head to the living room.

When I get downstairs, I watch as the kids shake their presents and whisper to each other. "Freeze, you two!"

"Um, hi, Mom," Emery says with a giant fake smile.

"Emery... You know better than to open your presents early," I scold.

"It was all Auden's idea!"

"Was not!" Auden protests.

"It doesn't matter who started it. Put the presents down and slowly back away."

"Mom..." Emery rolls her eyes.

"You know the rules. You can open your stocking, but the rest of the presents have to wait until after breakfast."

"But, Mom!"

"Your dad is making his famous Christmas morning pancakes."

"I love Dada's pancakes!" Auden shouts and runs toward the kitchen table.

"Come on, Em!" I gesture for her to follow.

When we get to the kitchen, I see Hardin starting to mix the pancake batter. "Look who's finally up." I smirk.

"Careful, Theresa. I'm very close to making this Grinchmas instead."

"Auden is excited for your pancakes, so try to act a little merry today."

"Dada!"

"What's up, little man?"

"Are you making your pancakes yet?"

"They're right here, buddy." Hardin holds up the mixing bowl.

"I want to help!"

"Okay, how about you add the sprinkles?"

"Okay!" Auden immediately grabs two handfuls of sprinkles and throws them into the batter.

Hardin laughs. "I guess we're having double sprinkles this year."

Auden continues to help Hardin make breakfast and my heart swells as I watch my two favourite boys bond over Christmas morning breakfast. Hardin is always a wonderful father, but there's something extra special about watching him teach Auden how to cook.

"Okay, who wants Santa and who wants a reindeer?" Hardin asks as he carries plates over to the table.

"A reindeer for me!" Emery answers excitedly.