22. Mischief Trouble & Storm Chasing

Jane's research brought us to Puente Antiguo, NewMexico.

I was happy to be back in a warmer climate. I'dmissed the heat from Australia, course it would have been better toalso be near some water source but perhaps it was best I wasn't.

Our new lab base was housed in an old motor shop,Smith Motors.

And if the close quarters weren't insentive enoughnot to go visiting my soulmate, I got the feeling that someone waswatching Jane a couple weeks into us researching some strangemagnetic storm activity in the desert.

Perhaps slightly paranoidly I began to squirrel awaybits of Janey's research in spots all over Puente Antiguo. Then Icalled Rikki on a payphone and gave her a code message of clues towhere the items were just in case. Rikki was always on the moveunlike the other girls, and had always been the best confidante fortop secret things. Plus she understood more accurately my desire forsecrecy than the other girls did.

It was one such call that Rikki stopped me fromhanging up.

"Mischief is in trouble. I haven't been able to seehim clearly. Each time it becomes more and more unclear. I'mscared..." She paused, "Something is wrong."

I nibbled on the inside of my lip, a bad feelingstirring at the bottom of my gut.

"Ok keep me updated."

Rikki wouldn't let me go yet though, "What aboutyou? Besides the MIB have you got to see your sweetheart?"

I let out a low laugh, "No space to go and visit."

Rikki sighed, "Hang in there, Darce."

***

Jane had called in Erik Selvig, an old mentor, afterour investigation into the storms had yielded consistent results. Hewas kinder than others who sneered at her research, still he lookedupon her excitement with a bittersweet gaze.

Not everyone had seen the impossible happen like Ihad.

One night we prepared to go out again, unknowing howmy world would be turned on its head again by doing so.

We parked in the middle of the desert where thereadings had been spiking for several weeks. We'd been waiting formore than a hour waiting for the storm to arrive, still Jane stoodresolutely stared up at the stars devices in hand. The computersbuzzed and I looked out the window waiting for it too.

Despite the blank dark night my protector tinglestold me something different was going to happen tonight.

"Wait for it." Jane diddn't even glance at hermentor, her gaze not seeing how dissapointed a look he was givingher.

He'd already expressed his opinion about her chasingstorms before we headed out that night.

I looked behind to see Selvig turning toward Jane,they'd bent down from where they had been looking out the van'ssunroof.

"Jane, you can't keep doing this."

But Jane was in Science Mode. I patted our go-bagwith snacks glad we had enough to last the night. I was glad to havesome hot coffee in a thermos, we were prepared to wait out the nightif we had to.

Jane was looking over the data on her computerschecking the monitors for signs that a storm was approaching.