STARBOY | 35

CHOI MISO STARED IN AWE AT THE SIGHT OF THE OPEN AREA NIKI HAD BROUGHT HER TO

It was a meadow that was suppose to be filled with flowers, however due to the winter weather, they'd died. Nevertheless, the field still managed to look beautiful. The grass was long, and in need of a cut, and there weren't many trees around apart from one that was in the center of the meadow with its leaves still falling, but as the bright moon shone down, it made the place look peaceful.

"It's beautiful." Miso complimented, looking up at Niki with a wide grin on her face, her eyes becoming crescent moons as she felt overwhelmed with emotions.

"It's whatever." Niki shrugged nonchalantly, causing Miso to playfully huff and roll her eyes before the Greaser took hold of her hand and lead her through the meadow.

She could feel the grass brushing against her clothed legs and the warmth of Niki's hand swarm her body and the glow from the moon shine down onto her. She felt like she was in some kind of movie — one where absolutely nothing could go wrong.

Once the two arrived at the tree, they sat down on the floor, leaning against the trunk whilst Niki wrapped his arm around the girls shoulders, so that she could huddle into him.

There was not a cloud in sight as the two looked up at the sky. It was full of stars that twinkled every now and then and on the odd occasion, a shooting star would be spotted.

"It's so pretty..." Miso quietly spoke, her eyes fixed on the sky.

"Yeah," Niki nodded his head, his voice low as he turned to look down at her. "So pretty..." He stated, the words rolling from his lips like it was natural — which it was.

Miso, who was unbeknownst to the fact Niki had meant her instead of the night sky, smiled even wider, happy that the boy had finally 'agreed' with her instead of being nonchalant about it.

As a comfortable silence fell between them, Miso laid her head against Niki's chest, exhaustion taking her over as her eyes began to get heavy. Even though it was cold out, the warmth of the boys body kept Miso's body from freezing and made her feel relaxed in the middle of nowhere.

"This has been the best birthday yet, Doll." Niki leaned down, whispering to the girl he'd thought had fallen asleep, and kissing her on the head.

Immediately, Choi Miso's eyes flung open in shock and she sat up, turning to face the boy. "It's your birthday?!" She questioned.

Niki's eyes widened as he looked back at her taken aback before nodding his head slightly, avoiding eye contact with Miso.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've gotten you a gift." Miso sadly stated, her shoulders slumping in disappointment.

Chuckling, Niki shook his head. "You're my gift, So." He reached out, pulling her back into him as the girls cheeks burned pink.

"Stop being so cheesy." Miso commented, burying her head into his chest.

"Be quiet, Choi Miso." Niki sighed out, smiling widely as he wrapped his arms around the girls waist.

"Miso," The boy began, his voice soft and genuine, causing Miso to look up at him with furrowed eyebrows and intrigued eyes. "This should be our place. So, whenever we need a break from reality we can come here — alone or together." He shrugged and Miso bit down on her bottom lip as she nodded.

"I like that idea." She agreed, planting a kiss on the boys cheek before resting her head back on his chest, her eyes falling shut once again, the two of them falling asleep in each others embrace.

The next morning, the Choi girl woke to the bright light from the sun peering down on the couple as the freezing air hit them.

Miso sat up from Niki and let out a groan as her body ached from being in the same position for so long. Her eyes glanced down to the boy, who was still peacefully sleeping, and she couldn't help but feel her heart swell at the sight of him.

Gently reaching forward, Miso caressed his cheek. He looked like a baby as he slept. He didn't look like a tough, Greaser that hurt people's feelings for fun — or robbed from diners. He looked so calm and innocent.

As time went on, and the sun had eventually risen, Miso woke the Nishimura boy up from his slumber, a chorus of groans tumbling from his mouth as he folded his arms across his chest, desperate to try and find some sort of warmth.

"We need to head home." Miso informed him, her voice soft as she stood up from the floor and and brushed down her clothes, smoothing them out and hitting off the dirt that had cling to her body.

"Is that a good idea?" Niki croakily asked, opening his eyes slowly as the sunlight that shone directly down onto them was too bright.

"It has to be done sooner or later," Miso sadly sighed. The thought of going home and seeing her parents and brother not only angered and annoyed her, but it also scared her. Who knew what they would do?

After nodding his head in understanding, Niki stood up and pulled Miso into him, before they began to walk back through the field and made their way to the Socs home.

"Call me or go to my place if anything happens, alright." Niki ordered, looking down at Miso once they'd made it to her house. "I mean it, Miso. Just call me, I'll come get ya."

Silently, Miso nodded her head, a grateful smile appearing on her lips as she got on her tiptoes to kiss the boys lips.

"I love you." Niki spoke, moving his lips from her lips to her cheek and then to her forehead.

"I love you too, Niki."

Waving goodbye, Niki sent her a small smile before he shoved his hands in his pockets and began to reluctantly continue his way home.

A long and heavy sigh left Miso's lips as she took a moment to prepare herself for what she was about to face. She didn't want to argue with them, all she wanted to do was walk straight past them and go to her bedroom. They weren't worth her time.

And so, without another thought, Miso reached out for the doorknob and twisted it open, stepping into the place she once called home.

★