Chapter One

"Ow!" I grab the pair of chopsticks that were thrown to my face.

"Pay attention! You zone out too much!" My best friend, Kukumi says. She sighs. "You know, what's the point of listening...."

"Wait! I'm sorry, ok? Please don't look like that! I'm listening, I promise!" I reassured her.

Kukumi sighed again. "Ok, good, you better listen this time." She scoots closer to me.

She told me the story of a man with a double-sided haori holding a girl in the forest, who looked close to being rabid. The man appeared to have a straight and serious facial expression. Apparently, this happened a few days ago, or more.

"That's creepy..... Was it a kidnapper?" I asked.

"I'm not sure.... But I didn't want to get involved. It looked scary." Kukumi replied, fiddling with her fingers.

"What if the girl was.... A demon?"

"....."

The room went completely silent. It was so silent that I felt embarrassed.

"...Sorry. That was a dumb questi-"

"Maybe." Kukumi interrupted. "I've heard stories. Demons that lurk in the forest right when the sun comes down.... That's why people go missing and never return."

The room goes silent again. Luckily, Kukumi's mom interrupts by walking in the room with two cups.

"Green tea? It's cold out." She asks.

"Yes please...." I say, as I am given the cup. "Thank you."

"Thanks, ma." Kukumi adds with a smile.

"No problem, girls...." The mom leaves the room.

The room goes dead silent again.

"...Fumiko found something once." Kukumi said, silently.

"Fu.... Fumiko? The girl that lives around the edge of the village?"

"Yes."

"What did she find?"

"Well....  She was walking to the well to get some water, and it was late out, so the moon was shiny and you can see around you. As she was walking back, she heard noises coming from the forest. As she turned around, there was a vase."

"So? it's just a stupid vase."

"The vase was moving on its own.  Entirely on its own. There was also mumbling coming from inside of it."

"Like... Inside inside?"

"Inside inside."

The room went silent.... Yet again.

"That's scary. What did she do?" I asked, trying to build up the conversation again.

"She quietly ran away, but as she was running the pale dropped. She was too scared to grab it back. She didn't go outside for days on end. She always camped outside the window, waiting for the vase to disappear before she could go out again."

"Poor girl. How old is she again?"

"About.... 8, 9...?"

"Jesus, even worse. That's eerie."

"Tell me about it."

I took a sip of the green tea, then set it down on the tatami mat.

The air started to get more crisp, and dry. The snow turned into a bit of a hail storm. The hail started to go through the window.

"The hail is getting inside.... But it looks pretty." I mumbled. Even with mumbling, Kukumi replied,

"Yeah, it is."

The both of us turned to each other and giggled as we grabbed our blankets and tea, and huddled by the window. We smiled, as we blocked our faces so hail didn't get in our eyes. We wanted to watch the snow go down. We didn't care. We continued to laugh as we looked through the gaps in our fingers. The trees started swaying more aggressively, but not too aggressively that It'll fall.

We stayed there, huddled together, until a scream was heard from the hall. We both gasped, and turned. It was the sound of Kukumi's mom's screams.

Her voice echoed through the hall, sending chills down our spines. Pure horror we were hearing. We both huddled together, shaking so heavily that if you gave us a cup of tea, we'd spill it in the blink of an eye.

"mom....." Kukumi said quietly with a shaky breath.

"No.... there's no way...." I said, huddling closer to her.

Kukumi and I couldn't budge. Our hearts started racing even more as we heard footsteps getting closer and closer to us...

"Kuku, we have to leave...!!" I whispered.

"But my mom..." Kukumi said with a shaky breath.

"We're going to die if we don't move now...!!"

My heart finally started racing. I instantly started climbing out the window. Kukumi screamed. I tried grabbing her hand, but the shoji started sliding open.....

It was too late. She couldn't grab my hand. I started running with tears flowing from my eyes, running down my cheeks. I didn't care if there was hail. I didn't want to die.

The last thing I heard were her screams.