Chapter Two

The snow crunching under my feet felt like hell. I had no slippers, no socks.... But there was no time. The wind was faint, though the whispers of the midnight wind still remained. Blood was pumping, and even dripping. 'What was I thinking?!'

This was the worst mistake of my life. The coward ran away. I didn't even try to help. Once I saw it, the blood was rushing to my head, and suddenly to my legs. I needed to run. And far. My fight or flight response was chiming in, telling me to just keep going. Keep going.... Keep going...

I had no choice, after all. A girl like me, going into a blood bath like that? God, what are you, crazy Y/N?!

'Please..... Please forgive me my friend. Please... I'd do anything to make up for what I did...'

I kept running and running. My feet felt like falling off, and my toes were freezing that I could barely run anymore. But the adrenaline was masking the pain... Fortunately.

My world was spinning off its axis. I just heard my friend being slaughtered. If only Kukumi grabbed my hand.... If only she did.... If only we'd escaped in time instead of being like sitting ducks, ready for the attack. But thank god I survived, or else I would've been dead by the time that person had gotten into her room.

'What should I do?!' I thought to myself. 'God, I haven't even buried the body.... She'll just be laying there forever... But I can't go back now.' 

As I was running, I heard noises in the forest. What was it? It sounded like growling.... 'Was it a demon?' I couldn't quite grasp it. It was close, yet it was far. 'I cannot think now, I just have to-"

Then, I slipped on some ice, and fell. I fall down the mountain but the snow breaks my fall. I heard a crack! as I fell, but the cold was numbing the pain. I crashed down, and hit my nose against a rock. My face instantly got buried in the snow. I started to tear up. I could taste the blood dripping from my nose and into my mouth. I couldn't feel a thing.

That's when I felt my body warming up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, sister! Lets play!" Usuyo shouted at me and giggled. She was so little, and so pure. I want to give her the world.

"Alright, I'm coming!" I shout back, laughing. Usuyo throws a snowball in my face, and giggles. She started running away screaming, as I created a giant snowball of myself to throw at her. The snowball made her plummet to the ground. But she wasn't crying. She was so happy. I was so happy. Everyone was so happy.

Mother had gone to the village to buy some charcoal from a family that sells. It was a long walk, because just like that family, we too live very far up in the mountains. Even if the snow was sometimes a pain, I still enjoyed making snowball fights with her.

"Usuyo, let's go inside! It's getting late!" I shout. She responded with a mere nod, and grabbed my hand. Her  hands were warm, while mine was cold. Either way, we calmly entered our little home.

I poured some tea for the both of us, and Usuyo played with the kimono that was spread on the tatami mat. I was repairing my mothers clothes because it started ripping, and creating holes in the fabric. Since I am the only one with thread experience, I decided to repair it for her.

"Usuyo, be careful, its hot." I said, as I gently placed it in her small hands. Even as an 8 year old, her hands were still so small. It was like an infants hand.

"Ok... Thanks Y/N..." She says, as she takes a sip. "Ah! My tongue!" She says, sticking out her tongue. It was slightly red.

I put my hands on my hips. "I told you to be careful, Usuyo. I just poured it."

"Yes... I'm sorry Y/N..." She says, as she places it down and fans her mouth.

"I would fetch some cold water, but its getting very late." I said, as I opened the window. 'Gosh.... The moon is so close to being out, and the sun is already coming down... She left three hours ago. It's not that far...'

I was starting to get quite worried. My mother is small and fragile, like glass. If you let go of it, it'll break. Anxiety was starting to build up inside of me.

"Y/N? Where's my mother?" Usuyo asked. Her cute voice calmed me down.

I turned back to her with a reassuring smile. "She'll be back soon... And when you wake in the morning, she'll be right by your futon, kissing your head."

"Ok!" She said happily. She ran to me and hugged me. I silently hugged her back. It was so silent that only the sound of snow was heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My body was slowly warming up.... My mother told me that when the body warms up, it's using its last bit of heat to warm itself up, before it completely shuts down. 'Looks like I'm going to die....'

I turned myself over, and stared at the sky. The snow was falling down peacefully. There was no more hail. I accept that I am going to die today.

I finally black out.