ONE

The knife in her hand was laden with blood. She smirked as she watched it drip onto the pavement beneath her feet, a wicked satisfaction she only gained after the loss of another's soul. The blood was red, vibrant and filled with a haunting quality, memories of a life once lived. The victim in question was slouched on the pavement, gravel raked through his light hair, glossy eyes widened in permanent surprise. It was poetic almost, the way he'd departed his mortal existence, at the hands of one who's life he'd attempted to steal, one whose life he had stolen from. It was poetic, and it was perfectly rationalised. At least, that's what she told herself, each time she saw her face in all of their gaunt eyes, devoid of life.

***

The curtains flowed as a cool breeze drifted through the window, welcome after a day of sweltering heat. Victoria Beaumont was home alone, again, on her third 'Grease' re-watch of the summer. As her holidays came to a close, she rationalised that this would be her last time witnessing Olivia Newton-John, and John Travolta grace her screens before her inevitable return to school the next day.

It was sort of a tradition she had, one she previously held with her mother, before she became completely, thoroughly, consumed by her work, the specifics of which she never mentioned. Victoria thought of this night as a ritual, a ceremony of sorts, a welcome into the new year, and a promise- a promise of positive energy for the next three hundred and sixty five days.

Victoria didn't think of herself as much of a musical enthusiast, sure she watched the heathers musical from a glitchy youtube video for two hours, performed in all the productions her highschool had on offer for her, and watched the performances of nearby schools, but she didn't love it as much as others did. Most of the time she didn't get it, why people would devote their lives to the genre. But when the starting beats of 'Summer Nights' rang through the two bedroom apartment she shared with her mother, she thought she understood why.

"SUMMERR LOVINGG HAD ME A BLASTTT" She sung along to the music, as if she was the one singing to her friends, recounting her whirlwind summer romance.

"SUMMER LOVINGG HAPPENED SO FASTTT" Handbrush in hand, Victoria was singing into it like it was a microphone, dancing around her living room, utterly immersed in the song.

"I MET A GIRL CRAZZYY FOR MEE!" She sat back on the couch, panting, a smile plastered on her face.

She took a deep breath before belting, "MET A BOYY CUTE AS..." she stopped abruptly, upon hearing a voice that sang alongside her.

"... as can be" The voice continued, and Victoria almost screamed out of humiliation, cheeks aflame, burning red. The window beside the couch was open, letting in gusts of air and the sounds of the night. Someone had heard her. How did she not notice the window was open?

As the voice from below her window, on the pavement, continued singing along, Victoria, very stealthily, attempted to shut the window without the pedestrian noticing her. Not that that would be easy to do- they most definitely were within earshot when she started belting out the lyrics to the Grease soundtrack.

Though, just to her luck, Victoria tripped and fell over the leg of her couch, falling face first into the glass of the window with a large thud. The person in the street clearly heard this commotion, glancing up as if to determine what had caused such a sound. Not observing anything, they continued walking down the street, dark hair swaying behind their head.

Victoria wished she'd just fallen out of the open portion of the window and down onto the street.

Looking down, avoiding making unnecessary eye contact with a stranger who just witnessed what probably made the top ten most embarrassing moments of her life list, Victoria shut the window, and the stranger glanced upwards once again. This time, Victoria didn't advert her eyes, but really wished she would've.