Befall Of A Curse

Samudra Manthan

Parvati had been noticing the gloomy face of her husband for a long time and finally decided to break her silence.

"Mahadev, you seem disturbed. What is going on?"

Shiva turned to her and sighed.

"Uma, something very serious is about to happen and it is going to put the world in a great danger."

"But what is going to happen?"

Before Shiva could reply, they were greeted by the voice of one of the most powerful saints. The one who himself was a form of Shiva. Rishi Durvasa.

"Pranam Mahadev. Pranam Mata."

Shiva and Parvati nodded in acceptance.

"Welcome, Maharishi Durvasa. What brings you here today?", said Shiva.

"My Lord, I have gained this divine garland of Parijat flowers from my yajna. So I am heading towards Indraloka to present this to Devraj Indra. Before going, I came here to pay you both my respect. Now kindly allow me to leave."

Shiva went quite and then said, "Very well. But I may give you a warning. Whatever happens, don't lose your cool. You know what can happen if you get angry."

Durvasa nodded and greeting them one last time, he went towards his destination. Parvati looked towards her husband.

"Is this the danger you were talking about?"

"Partially. It's the mixture of arrogance and anger that befalls danger on mankind" Shiva said.

"I'm curious, Mahadev. What is happening in Indralok?"

Shiva nodded and closed his eyes. In front of them, they could see what was happening in Amravati.

The Gods were in a jovial mood. Music was being played. Apsaras were dancing. And Indra was siting on his throne, intoxicated with somras when Durvasa entered. Seeing him, everything stopped. He was feared for his destructive anger. Indra too stood up, staggering to keep his balance and got down to greet him.

"Welcome Maharishi to Swarga Lok."

"Looks like I came at a wrong time" Durvasa huffed.

"We were just making some merry. But do tell, what can we do for you?"

Durvasa brought out the garland and said, "Devraj, I have received this garland from my yajna. It contains divine powers and whoever will wear it will become powerful and knowledgeable."

Indra, still under the influence of alcohol, took the garland and inspected it.

"Thank you, Rishi Durvasa for thinking about me but I'm already powerful and knowledgeable. I don't need it. Let me give it to someone who actually needs it. Airavat!"

Indra called to his elephant and threw the garland towards it. Airavat took it on his trunk and flunked it in the air and it fell on the ground. He then started to stamp on it and making loud notices. Indra couldn't help himself and started laughing. Durvasa got furious at such behavior.

"HOW DARE YOU, INDRA? YOU DISRESPECTED MY BLESSINGS THAT I GOT FOR YOU? YOU HAVE SUCH ARROGANCE OF YOUR PROSPERITY AND RICHNESS! ALRIGHT, THEN I, RISHI DURVASA CURSE YOU THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR PROSPERITY. LAKSHMI WILL LEAVE YOU AND DISAPPEAR INTO THE OCEAN. "

Durvasa's thundering voice echoed around the hall. Indra was startled. He was snapped back into his consciousness and fell at Durvasa's feet.

"Please forgive me, Maharishi. I accept my mistake. I was very wrong in my behavior. Please forgive me."

Durvasa didn't answer and just went away angrily.

In Vaikunth, Lakshmi sat beside Vishnu, her eyes filled with tears.

"So this is what you were indicating at, Narayan. That we have to separate once more."

"We have no other choice. This is what fate has written for us."

Lakshmi laid her head on his shoulder.

"When I'm gone, look after the world and yourself. We will meet again soon."

Vishnu nodded and placed a kiss on her forehead. Then she disappeared. Lakshmi was gone. She had went back to the ocean and along with her, all the riches of the world disappeared as well. The world became lustreless. The prosperity was lost. All the Gods, humans whoever wore jewellery was gone.

From Kailash, Shiva and Parvati looked on to this condition. Even Parvati's jewelleries were gone.

"What ended up happening Mahadev? Is this fair?"

"What was supposed to happen, happened Uma. All we can do is make use of this situation. But firstly, we have to go somewhere."

"Where?" She asked.

"Vaikunth. Narayan needs us now."

........................

When the two reached Vaikunth, they saw Vishnu siting on the bed of Sesh Naag, dejected. The ever charming smile was gone from his face. Anyone rarely saw Vishnu like that but without Lakshmi, he couldn't find the will to smile again. Sensing their presence, he looked up and welcomed them. Shiva quitely hugged him and comforted him.

"I'm so sorry, Sakha. But you don't have to do it alone. We are here."

Vishnu held on to him for a while, droplets of tears falling on Shiva's shoulder. Then he stabled himself and moved away. Parvati too went and embraced her brother.

"Huh, look at you being sweet to me. Unnatural!"

Parvati pinched him.

"It's not the time for your jokes, brother."

Vishnu had a sardonic smile on his face, "Our fate is also a joke. It's our destiny to separate from each other. Just like Shiva and Shakti had to separate, so did Lakshmi Narayan. All for the betterment of this world. We cannot do anything but just sit and watch."

As they were having their conversation, Indra and the other Gods came running to Vaikunth.