STARBOY | 37

ONCE MISO WAS BACK INSIDE THE SHOP AND IT WAS SAID THAT JAY WOULD CALL FOR NIKI, THE CHOI GIRL SAT HERSELF ON THE FLOOR, HER BACK LEANED AGAINST THE WALL AS SHE STRUGGLED TO BREATH

Her chest felt tight and her throat was dry. She hated this feeling. She felt trapped, like she couldn't release her emotions. It was almost as if she had been thrown into a dark room with no way out. She couldn't stay focused on anything. Her eyes were darting from one thing to the next, her body was shaking with a cold sweat, it felt like she would lose all control over her bladder any moment, and she felt sick.

"Miso," She heard the worried voice of Ria, who had now kneeled down in front of her, trying to calm her down. "It's okay, you're okay — what's wrong?"

Miso, who was unable to answer her friend, lowered her head, squinting her eyes shut to try and block out the images of her attackers.

Her breathing got worse as time progressed and that only concerned Jay, Jake and Ria even more. Witnessing their friend go through something like this was something that they did not want to see, and as they heard the sobs escape Miso's lips, their hearts ached for her.

Eventually, Nishimura Niki hurried through the entrance of the Record shop, a look of concern and confusion spread on his features.

"Move." He ordered Ria, who silently moved away from Miso in understanding.

"Miso," Niki softly called out, his whole demeanor changing as soon as his eyes landed on the distressed girl. "Miso, don't cry, it's okay." He reassured, reaching his hand out to gently move her own hands away from her face.

Instantly, the two made eye contact, and Miso's bottom lip quivered. Everything around her stopped — but for the right reasons this time. Niki was here. He was here to save her from the bad memories.

"You're safe." Niki informed her just above a whisper and immediately, Miso wrapped her arms around the boy, resting her head on his chest as she listened to his heartbeat, trying to calm her breathing.

"What happened, Doll?" He faintly asked once hearing her sobs eventually disappear.

Hesitantly, the Choi girl pulled out of Niki's embrace and looked up at him. His inner eyebrows were facing upwards and his eyes showed nothing but care and worry.

"I saw one of the Socs that hurt me." She reluctantly explained. "But I'm okay now — I was just being pathetic, that's all." She shook her head, about to pull completely away from the boy so that she could get up from the floor — however, Niki shook his head, holding onto her arm so she couldn't leave him just yet.

"You weren't being pathetic, So." He assured, trying not to reveal the anger that was bubbling in his chest to Miso. He hated knowing that the people that hurt the girl most precious to him were in the same area as him and he couldn't do nothing about it. He felt like his hands were tied.

"Ria," Niki looked away from Miso and up at the female Greaser. "Take Miso home." He instructed and Ria nodded her head in agreement.

Before the couple parted, the boy planted a kiss on Miso's lips, telling her that he'd see her later, before he allowed Ria to leave with her.

"Don't do nothing stupid, Niki." Jake warned, sitting himself down on the stool that was behind the counter. "We've already settled things with the Socs."

The younger boy took a glance at Jake as annoyance filled his veins and took over his features. How could Jake just expect him to sit back whilst the Socs that caused Miso pain were outside the shop?

"How can I just allow the bitch-faces that hurt Miso to walk around freely?" Niki questioned, raising his brow, becoming frustrated with his friend.

"Niki," Jay sternly called out, standing in front of the boy that was slowly inching closer to Jake. "If you do something now, the Socs will only retaliate. The race would've been done for nothing. It ain't worth it."

After glancing between the two older boys, a scoff felt from Niki's lips and he rolled his eyes. "Whatever, man." He huffed, turning around, shoving his hands in his pockets and leaving the shop.

Later that evening, Miso was back at her home, alone. Neither her parents or brother had yet to return and for some reason, that worried her. Even with everything they've done and said to her, she managed to find a part of her that still cared for them.

Sitting at her vanity table in her pink, silk pajamas, Choi Miso looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes trailed over the healing wounds that were decorating her face and her hands were gently caressing them.

Suddenly, the sound of a knock at her bedroom window was heard before she heard it being pulled open all the way (Miso always leaving it slightly ajar for whenever Niki would want to come over) and the Nishimura boy stepped into her bedroom.

His scent of cigarette smoke and musk instantly filled her bedroom and she couldn't help but grin wildly as she stood from her chair and engulfed him in a warm embrace.

"You alright now, Doll?" He asked, pressing his lips against her head as he felt her nod.

"Never felt better." She answered as they parted, Niki letting out a breathy chuckle as he kicked off his converse and laid himself down on Miso's bed as the Choi girl sat back at her vanity table, brushing her hair.

"Anyone home?" The boy wondered, looking over at her, feeling annoyed at the thought of her parents and Beomgyu being in the home the same time he was.

"No — no one's been home all day." Miso replied with the shake of her head, making Niki scoff.

"Good." He deadpanned, leaning his head on his hand as he admired her from her bed, watching at she ran a comb through her hair before her eyes lit up with excitement and she stood up, rushing over to the clutter of bags from earlier on today.

"I bought you something for your birthday."

★