Chapter One

6-5-23

It was a weird couple of days in Los Angelos. the air felt weird, making the firefighters of the 118 worried. it had all started when they got a call where a man had been trapped in to sand-turned-glass due to a lightening strike on the beach.

'well what was he doing on the beach during a storm' you might ask but that's just the thing, there was no storm. it was a sunny day in California. this is what they call a dry thunderstorm, but eventually after a few days, the rain had started, making the lightning more dangerous.

Buck had plopped down on the couch in the loft of the firehouse with a sigh, "weird day," he groaned, leaning his head on the back of the couch.

"Yeah, no kidding," Eddie chuckled at his exhausted best friend, handing him a bottle of water and joining him.

"how does a baby get ejected from the womb, i just don't get it," Bucks face twisted at the thought of the call they just got back from. Eddie just shrugged, changing the subject because let's be honest, he didn't want to relive it.

"you still coming over for movie night? Christopher really misses you," Eddie smiled, leaning his head back in the same way Buck had his, mocking him.

Buck scoffed, "as if i'd miss movie night with superman," he teased, nudging Eddie.

"hey love birds, y'all okay with spaghetti for dinner," Hen called out, the teasing tone in her voice as she targeted the two. Buck and Eddie looked at each other and laughed.

"not my type, hen," Buck chuckled, playing off the fact that his chest tightened at her words. him and Eddie both just laughed it off, but it hurt Eddie.

Right when Bobby got the last ingredient for the pasta, the alarm went off, making them all groan as they drug themselves downstairs into the fire engine.

the rain got heavier throughout the night and the storm was stronger, but they had a job to do, which led them to the MacArthur Park apartment fire.

"Hendrix, Meyers, Perez, start evacuating the building," Bobby shouted at them and continued towards, "Chimney, Eddie, Buck, you're on the ladder, i want you to get up to that window and hit it, let's go," Bobby ordered and the three men rushed towards the ladder truck.

Once the ladder was positioned properly, Chimney was about to head up the ladder but noticed Buck had already started towards the ladder, "hey, where do you think you're going? i got this," Chimney smiled and tried to stop Buck.

"oh no way! you got the last one," Buck scoffed and followed it with a laugh.

"didn't realize you were keeping track, Buckley," Chimney teased as he helped Eddie harness Buck up.

"Come on, Chim, you know me. i'm always keeping track," Buck smiled as Eddie finished latching him, all three of them laughed.

"all right, cowboy, go get 'em," Eddie smiled, nudging him slightly and Buck began his way up the ladder with the hose.

And if the air felt weird on the ground, you can only imagine how weird it felt at the tip top of a ladder truck. As Buck began hosing the fire to put it out, Chim left the truck and began helping guid people to safety, no one really paying any mind to Buck except Bobby.

But Buck could feel something was wrong, he could physically feel his stomach turn and he looked up, making eye contact with the dark clouds, hearing a rumbling sound, "what the hell is that," He whispered to himself, but continued doing his job, hosing off the building. he tried to shake the feeling, but it wouldn't leave.

Buck and his team all saw a flash and that's when he lost consciousness. Eddie was thrown from the truck so to the force of the lightning and Bobby watched as Buck flipped over the edge, dangling from the slack.