Chapter Two

6-6-23

Eddie entered Bucks hospital room in the ICU, his heart aching and vision immediately being disfigured.

he could see the litchenberg figures peaking out of Bucks hospital gown and all the tubes coming from Bucks body were killing him too look at.

"Dios mío, Buck," he let out a pained laugh as he looked at Buck. he pulled a chair up close to Bucks bed. he traced the burns on Bucks neck before fisting his hand and pulling it away. Eddie began bringing up all their memories together, just talking to him for what felt like hours.

When a nurse came in to adjust Bucks pillow, Eddie stop and she smiled.

"boyfriend?" She asked softly. Eddie's head shot up at her and quickly shook his head.

"best friend. we work together, he's my partner," he tried to smile back. She side eyed him with a smile and nodded.

"we'll keep talking to him, i'm no expert but i've heard people in comas can steal hear when someone speaks to them. it helps them fight to get back to you," She offered one last apologetic smile before exiting Bucks room.

"i had to tell Chris where you were when you couldn't make it to movie might. i don't think i've ever seen him more upset, Buck," Eddie sighed.

"he had all the movies picked out and your favorite snacks ready. he sat on the couch patiently waiting with Carla and had the biggest smile on his face. as soon as i opened the door he yelled, 'Bucky?! is that you'" Eddie quoted his son with a small laugh at the memory of him being happier at the thought of Buck than his own father. It didn't bother Eddie in the slightest. They'd been co-parenting for the last 5 years.

"it's only been a day and i already miss you pestering me with your weird 'did you know' facts. i miss you and your little clipboard when we would be doing inventory. i miss you randomly walking in my house unannounced with pizza and ice cream. i miss our trips to the zoo with Chris. i miss your 3 am 'i cant sleep' texts when we get off the late shift and you keeping me up for hours more because talked about the dumbest things. i miss you showing up to my house in the middle of the night when you've had a rough night and can't sleep. its only been a day and i'm already going crazy without you. i'd give anything for this to just be a sick, twisted nightmare and you show up at my house right now. i can't parent without you, i can't be a firefighter without you, i can't sleep without you. i can barely breathe and eat properly knowing you have all the tubes inside of you helping you live your life, but i cannot live this life without you, i need you, i love you, Evan," Eddie cried out, not even acknowledging his own words, just letting them slip out.

he heard a knock at the door, seeing a distraught and broken-hearted Bobby at it and that's when he realized everything he had said.

"s-sorry, i'll give you two sometime," Eddie stumbled over his words as he stood up, letting go of Bucks hand that he didn't even realized he grabbed. Bobby shook his head.

"nonsense, sit down," He tried to smile at Eddie.

Eddie didn't have energy left to argue so he sat back down. "so, you love him?" Bobby teased, bumping him with his shoulder, trying to lighten the mood.

Eddie's chest tightened as he looked at Bobby, "w-what," he asked, feeling like he was a teenager, getting exposed to his family.

"c'mon, Eddie, we aren't blind. we see the looks exchanged between the two of you. y'all can talk without speaking. y'all are attached at the hip ninety-eight percent of the time, always finding ways to touch each other. y'all basically live together, he has more clothes at your house then he does at his, and y'all've raised the that kid of yours together for the last five years. it was only gonna be a certain amount of time before you owned up to it," Bobby smiled softly at him.