Chapter Three

6-10-23

Eddie drug himself into his house, back hurting, eyes burning. His back hurting from sleeping in the hospital chairs and working so much and his eyes burning from crying, he was ready to take a nap in his bed. He plopped on his bed, immediately getting hit in the face with Bucks hoodie that he had left over.

His eyes began to water, only being able to smell Buck. He groaned, pulling it to his chest. He needed Buck to wake up, he couldn't keep lying to Christopher on why Buck missed movie night, and why Eddie was never home, or anything in the future while Buck is still in his...coma.

He heard the front door open and he immediately shot up when he heard his name, "Eddie, are you home?" He heard Carla's voice echo through the house. He heard the sound of Christopher's crutches hitting the wood floor.

"Yeah! i'll be out in just a second," He shouted back to the two. He quickly changed into Bucks hoodie and sighed as he looked in the body mirror he had on his door. He wiped his eyes and slapped a smile on his face. "Hey, hey, hey, mijo! How was school?" Eddie smiled, walking out of his bedroom.

"How could you not tell me B—Buck—Buck was in the hospital!" Christopher shouted at his dad. Eddie felt like his whole world stopped as he looked at Carla.

"Im sorry, i thought you would've told him by now," Carla whispered, worriedly.

Eddie's brain kept replaying that night. He kept seeing Buck dangling right in front of him, he kept hearing the time Buck was dead for. Everything kept replaying and he needed it to stop. He couldn't save him, he couldn't bring him home to him and Christopher, he couldn't save him.

Eddie's breathing began to pick up, his chest tightening to an uncomfortable, painful feeling.

"Eddie, are you okay," Carla asked, moving past Christopher and towards the man. Eddie only looked at her, barely being able to catch a breath.

"I-i can't b-b-b-bre-" His words were cut off due to the feeling of trying to grab and breath and put it in his lungs, but it was no use. Carla grabbed his hands that were shaking violently. His body began to feel tingly, it was like his blood was shaking.

"Okay, you're okay, i'm right here," she smiled, setting Eddie down on the couch. She sat down next to him, Christopher by his side as well. They both grabbed one of Eddie's hands, making Eddie look at them.

"Okay, you can hear me, you're aware of your surroundings, that's good. I want you to close your eyes and just focus on your breathing. Take a deep breath in," Carla took one with him, "hold it for four seconds," she whispered, rubbing his hand. "Now let it out," she said softly, sweet talking him.

"Breathe normally for a few seconds, then hold a deep breath for four seconds," Carla sent Chris off to his room as she continued the breathing exercise.

She told him to focus on the clothes on his skin, the sound of the air conditioner running and eventually, he calmed down.

"Now, do you feel better?" Carla asked softly, making Eddie nod. They sat their for a few minutes before Eddie was ready to call Christopher out.

"Hey, Christopher! Can you come out here, Mijo," Eddie shouted, dragging his hands down his face. Christopher appeared around the corner and Eddie motioned for him to come over. Christopher sat on the coffee table in front of Eddie and that was Carla's cue to leave.

"Why are you wearing Bucks hoodie," Christopher spat out. Eddie looked down and sighed.

"It must've gotten mixed up with my laundry," Eddie lied. They sat in silence for a moment before Chris broke the silence again.

"Why didn't you t-ell me," Chris asked again. Eddie but his lip as he thought about his words.

"I didn't know how," He said truthfully, thinking about what to say next. "I thought that I could just keep blaming work on why he hadn't come over, until he woke up," he replied.

Chris nodded, "Well what hap-pened," he asked.

Eddie sighed, "You remember the apartment fire call we had the other day, during the dry thunderstorms that ended with a flood of rain," Eddie asked him. Christopher nodded, letting him know to continue.

"Well, Chimney was gonna go up, but knowing Buck, he insisted on him going up instead. He didn't want Chimney to have all the fun. So we sent Buck up," Eddie took a deep breath and his eyes watered. "It-it all happened so fast! He was putting the fire out and then there was a big white flash. I hit the ground and he was dangling from the slack," Eddie bit his lip as the tears fell down his face.

"Bucky was struck by lightning?" Christopher was asking for reassurance on what he heard. Eddie nodded, grabbing Christopher's hands.

"But he's going to be okay?" Chris furrowed his eyebrows.

Eddie sucked his teeth,"Well, we don't know for sure, Mijo. He's in a coma right now," Eddie informed him. Christopher sighed but nodded.

"I wanna see him." Christopher demanded. Eddie's head raised.

"Chris, you know kids aren't allowed in the ICU." Eddie shook his head. They bickered back and forth for five minutes about Chris needed to see and talk to Buck.

"I don't c-are! Take me to see Buck," He said as Carla walked in. Eddie looked at her for help and she shrugged her shoulders with a smile on her face. Eddie raised his eyes brows.

"Okay, let's go," Eddie said.

-

"Eddie? Chris? Carla? What're y'all doing in here? Kids aren't allowed in the ICU." Hen said, furrowing her eyebrows.

"We know, but he insisted. he wouldn't take no for an answer. He literally demanded he see Buck and that he talk to him," Carla informed Hen.

"i- well, i'm sure we can think of something," Hen said with a smile.

"Oh, por el amor de dios," Eddie groaned but nodded and then they sat and came up with a plan to get Christopher in.

It ended with Carla asking one of the nurses for assistance, telling them that she's looking for a job in the medical field, and Hen and Eddie sneaking Chris into Bucks room.

"is he sleeping?" Chris asked, looking at Eddie.

"something like that, he's resting, so the machines can do all the work for him. Make him feel better," Eddie replied, leaning against a shelf in the room.

Chris nodded, "what're all the tubes," he asked again, but Eddie couldn't answer. he could feel a sob in his throat. He had a hand on his forehead, shaking it slowly. Hen saw, swooping in to answer the question.

"They're part of the ECMO machine. It takes his blood and puts extra oxygen into it, then the blood gets put back into his body," Hen answered, choking back the tears as she looked back over at Eddie, who was trying to not cry.

"Can he hear me," Chris asked. Hen nodded with a sad smile.

"i bet he can bud," She responded.

"Hey, Buck. It's Christopher. I know you're sick, but it's only temporary," Chris said and Eddie coughed when he felt the sob in his throat and wiped his tears away. Hen couldn't contain her tears.

"You're gonna be okay. That's what all the machines are doing," He said, putting a hand on Bucks arm. "making you better. But where ever you are, you have to come back. Wherever you are right now, you have to come back!" Christopher told Buck.

"Okay, Mijo, let's let Buck rest," Eddie forced a smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. He put his hands on Christopher's shoulders, pulling him away. Chris sighed, but didn't fight back.

"I can stay, have Carla take him home," Eddie offered Hen, but she shook her head.

"Eddie, you haven't slept in your bed for longer than a couple hours. You've been here or at work since the accident. Go home, spend the day with your son and get a good nights rest," Hen gave a sad smile, pulling Eddie into a hug. He sighed but didn't argue.

"Let's go home, Mijo," Eddie kissed his head.