The End of Life, The Beginning of Living

Prologue

" Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell

Jimmy Rodgers on the Victrola up high

Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder "

The warmth receded from his body as he lay curled up in the dank of a New Orleans alleyway. His hand was shaking, trying to hold the gaping wound in his stomach closed. It wouldn't be long now. August Park would call this dead-end his grave. 19 years of relative peace, minor racism, and a guaranteed job in the family are now gone. All of it thrown right out the Goddamn window. He just wanted a nice night out with his so-called friends. Instead, he's humiliated and gunned down by them. Story of his life.

His father and unknowingly pregnant mother immigrated over to the US in 1887. They settled in a small house situated in an orchard outside of Slidell. His parents worked hard to expand the clusters of fig trees to include more fruit bearing trees, a lush herb garden, and a large array of flowers. They named him August to fit in with their new american lifestyle and sent him to school with the children of southern high society. By the time he was 14 his parents had made a highly profitable business of selling fruits, teas, and just about anything you could make out of the plants around them. They could afford to build their dream home for their growing family. 3 more sons were born, a now 12 year old Autumn, 9 year old Audrey, and 3-month-old Aurum whom August doted on as if he was his own. August's life was great up to this night. Jealousy was an ugly thing.

The sound of clicking heels on the pavement pulled August out of his thoughts. He glanced towards the entrance of the alley to see a woman's silhouette approaching him. He squinted to try and get a better look at her but was failing miserably. His vision was already blurring from the blood loss.

"My you are a pretty one." An alluring husky voice cooed from above him. "I guess you're a decent subject to test out this whole maker thing."

August finally gave in to the growing drowsiness and closed his eyes. He just wanted this to be over.

"The sun is settin' like molasses in the sky"

August's eyes snapped open to see darkness. His breath hitched as fear started setting in. He was alone, in the dark, and everything around him was shifting. The smell of wet earth surrounded him. Someone had buried him alive. He started to panic, desperately clawing his way through dirt and forcing himself up through the shifting earth. Could it have been the "friends'' that tried to kill him? Shooting him wasn't enough so they had to hide the evidence too? What the fuck had he ever done to them?! He could feel tears starting to roll down his cheeks as his panic attack fully set it. He clawed through dirt faster and faster until he grasped air. He felt hope blossom in his chest as he pulled himself up higher. Then with a final push He broke free of his supposed grave. Looking around him he quickly deduces he is in the small graveyard next to the church he attended with his parents. His nerves continue to skyrocket as he tries to remember what happened before he blacked out. What the fuck was happening to him?

August tried to steady his panicked breathing but paused in disbelief and horror. He shakily placed his hand upon his chest and let out a choked sob of terror. He had no heartbeat. HE HAD NO FUCKING HEARTBEAT! Something was very wrong. All this time he has been taking unnecessary breaths. What was he? A monster, like in his books, a spirit walking the earth perhaps. So many possibilities started to trickle into his mind that he didn't notice the figure walking up to him.

"Well, you certainly don't waste time." A voice said, drawing August's attention.

Before him stood a tall and beautiful blonde woman. She practically radiated wealth and prosperity in an almost sinful way. She smirked at him before crouching before him. Her glittering beaded gown caught the light with every move she made.