Chapter 2: The Gray Eyed Man

One Year Later...

As morning light streamed through the kitchen window, Eileen's knuckles strained against the stuck jam jar. "Come on! Come on!" She tapped the jar against the counter. "Why won't this stupid thing open?" Her teeth gripped the top in vain. Open!

"What are you doing?" She turned. Ursus's eyebrow rose at the sight before him. "So, you want to give me that before you break your teeth?" Heat flushed her face. "Or do you want the jar to break like last time?"

"It slipped from my hands!" She huffed, folding her arms. "And maybe I could grip it easier if someone stopped buying the stupidly small ones."

Ursus's lips twitched. "You would eat all the mango jam in one sitting."

Eileen turned away. "It was one time."

"Three."

Wide eyes whipped back to him. "How do you know?"

His smile softened. "Because your breath smells like mangos each time."

Rude! She smacked his arm, earning a laugh. The sound of it warmed her stomach. As his hands cupped her face, she couldn't fight the smile anymore. Leaning forward, his lips pressed against hers in a soft kiss.

"Happy anniversary."

Her smile grew. It had been exactly one year since she had stumbled across him. One year since her life was changed for the better. She had kept to her word and dropped him off at the shelter. But when an injured patient arrived from that very shelter the next day, she thought it was better to at least have a way to contact her in emergency situations.

Simple texts turned into hour long conversations that turned into deep talks and finally love. "Happy anniversary," she whispered. He kissed her lips again before he pressed his forehead against hers. "Now, you want to tell me what you were doing so early?"

"Well, I was going to surprise you with breakfast." She grabbed the bag of bread. "But I should have known better." Despite her best efforts, Ursus always knew when she was awake and getting ready. No matter how hard she tried to be silent it was like he could hear a pin drop. "How does an egg and bacon toasted sandwich with cream cheese sound?"

His stomach rumbled. "Sounds delicious since you're making it." Rolling her eyes at his cheesiness, she opened the bag. Despite her reaction, they both knew she loved his cheesiness with all her heart.

Click. She glanced at the open jar. "I loosen it for you."

Ursus chuckled. "Sure, if that's what you want to tell yourself."

Deciding to ignore that sassy remark, Eileen turned back to their breakfast. She popped the two slices into the toaster. Her gaze flickered toward her phone on the counter. Releasing a sigh, she grabbed it. "Still no call."

"They're going to hire you."

"How do you know that?" Her grip tightened. "They've been cutting back hours for everyone." She chuckled bitterly. "They probably don't even have the money to hire me."

"Hey," A hand grabbed her arm. Instantly, a wave of calm washed over her as he pressed his forehead against hers again. "They would be a fool not to hire you." His eyes glowed. "You're one of the most hard working nurses there and you know it." Her heart flipped at the determination in his eyes.

Shaking her head, she leaned against his chest. A steady heartbeat greeted her ears. "How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

She met his gaze. "Always know what to say."

"I just know." His smile softened. "And once you're back, I'lll have a little surprise for you."