Chapter 4: Lyria

Stepping through the wall of light, the cold air shifted into a warm tropical feeling that brushed her skin. Giant gray waves crash against rocks below. Her gaze snapped up to the cyan colored sky. This is real. Her hands reached up as if she could touch the sky. This is one hundred percent real. The settlement mixture of stones and shells crunched under her shoes while lichens and fern peaked through the cracks.

"Welcome to the Southern Coast of the Gray Sea." Eileen moved as close to the edge as she dared. More waves crashed against the cliff's edge. It's beautiful.

Crack.

Rocks dropped into the ocean, sending waves of water toward them. Eileen staggered back, right into something hard. Her gaze snapped up to an amused Ursus. "Having fun?"

Heat flushed her cheeks. Her own smile copied his. "Yes."

"Ahem." Their gaze snapped to Pavel. "I gave Donovan our location. He'll be here in a few to pick us up."

Ursus frowned. "Donovan?"

"He was the one that located the orbs you used to transport off the planet. With his help, I was able to triangulate your location." His fingers pressed against a smartwatch. "I should tell him to get an extra translator for Eileen."

With a flash, a life size hologram flickered before them. Oh, wow. A holographic man stood in front of them. Close to Ursus's age, sharp gray eyes flickered to her. Silver streaks ran through blackish-blue hair. Sharp words left his lips in a language Eileen didn't understand.

"What are they saying?" She glanced up to see Ursus's eyes glowing softly. "Are they talking about me?" Ursus nodded. Back and forth, Pavel argued with the hologram until his sharp words made Donovan bow. With another word, the hologram shimmered and dissipated.

Eileen squeezed Ursus's hand. "What was that about?"

"Donovan doesn't think you should tag along with us." Mismatched eyes narrowed on Pavel. "He thinks you'll slow us down." What?

"What he thinks doesn't matter." Pavel sighed. "It's the council decision in the end." His gaze met hers. "And I think I can convince them to let her join us."

The council?

Ursus's eyes narrowed. "And how exactly will you do that?" Ursus snapped. Like fire, his eyes shimmer with anger. "The council hates me. They won't hesitate to toss us both into the sea!" Just then, more waves crashed against the cliff. Another piece broke off, sending the rocks into the depths below. Eileen's heart squeezed. Maybe coming to this planet wasn't the best idea.

"That's not going to happen." Gray eyes glared back at him. "I know you hate the council, but trust me on this." Pavel shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, I'll black mail them with the portal incident." He turned away from them. "And if that doesn't work then I have a backup plan."

"What's your backup-" A roar cut Ursus off.

A large metal hovercraft raced toward the horizon. Eileen's eyes widened as it drew closer and closer. The closest way to describe it was a large scientific hover jet. "And there's Donovan now." Slowing to a stop, a convertible glass hatched opened.

The man from the hologram leapt out the floating machine with surprising ease. Dark gray eyes studied Ursus first before they flickered over to her. Elieen recoiled at the intensity in them. If looks could kill-

Ursus shoved her behind him.

"Knock it off you two." Pavel glared at Donovan. "Don't overstep me right now, Donovan. We have a very specific situation on our hands." His gaze snapped to Ursus. "And stop snapping at everything. Eileen is going to be on high alert for a while."