𝟎𝟎𝟎. prologue

DOOMSDAY

____________

VALERIA CALDWELL AND Luke Castellan belonged to each other. Everybody in Camp Half-Blood knew that. The number of times they'd denied it didn't matter. When they'd say they were only friends and nothing more. Everybody could see through their lies.

From the moment Valeria entered Camp, Luke had his eyes set on her. He was the first to approach her when Chiron temporarily placed her in Cabin Eleven — the home to Hermes's children and all newcomers of Camp Half-Blood. Luke wanted to know her, and Valeria was more than open to the idea.

He'd brought her to campfires and introduced her to many of the other demigods, though she continued to stay by his side rather than wander around the camp. Valeria spent the majority of her time with Luke while she was unclaimed.

Luke couldn't help but admire her beauty and charisma. The way her smile seemed to fluster those around her. The sound of her laugh being as intoxicating and addictive as a drug. Luke was absolutely enamored by Valeria.

Of course, merely two weeks following her arrival, Valeria had been claimed by Aphrodite. The goddess of love and beauty. Most of the other campers expected it, though. How could someone as heavenly as Valeria not be a child of Aphrodite?

Therefore, Valeria had been moved to Cabin Ten to join the rest of her siblings. She'd gained many sisters and a handful of brothers, which she adjusted well to despite being an only child in the mortal world. She will always remember the loneliness that consumed her childhood.

Valeria was fourteen when she left her home in Detroit, Michigan, where she lived with her father. He couldn't understand why Valeria was so difficult to raise— so hard to deal with. He never failed to remind her of how much he'd wished that she was normal. That he'd had another child with another woman.

Her father abandoned his responsibilities when it came to raising her. So, Valeria abandoned any chance of establishing a bond with him. Once in a while, often on her birthday or holidays, she'd receive a letter from the man. Asking why she left, or when she'd return home. Valeria never answered.

Luke understood Valeria's strained relationship with her father. He knew what it was like better than anyone. From what Valeria collected through their conversations, a horrific incident involving Luke's mortal mother led to his resentment towards Hermes. There was nothing either of them could do to repair the damage.

Through these circumstances, Luke and Valeria had built a connection that no one would ever be able to understand. They knew each other's history. Their reasons for seeking comfort in whoever they could. They knew everything.

The daughter of Aphrodite and the son of Hermes, whose hearts and souls were tied together by a string of rope. Forever intertwined with the other's until death.