𝟎𝟎𝟗. valeria caldwell's fear

DOOMSDAY

____________

THE SELECTION CEREMONY commenced nearly ten minutes ago, and Valeria has yet to move from her position on the steps to the Hermes Cabin, where she waits for Luke to return from the dining pavilion with Chiron and the other candidates.

Following his claiming on the beach, Percy had been called to the Big House to visit the Oracle. He was then offered a quest — Percy will travel to the Underworld to retrieve Zeus's stolen Master Bolt and bring it back to Olympus, thus preventing a war amongst the gods. He wasn't given much choice of whether or not to accept, however, as Zeus already believes that Percy is the thief who'd stolen the Bolt all those months ago during the Winter Solstice.

Valeria struggles to understand the god's thinking because Percy wasn't even aware of his godly parentage until two days ago. How could he have been the one to sneak into the throne room to take the Master Bolt?

Nonetheless, the gods are starting to choose sides between Zeus and Poseidon — and soon enough, their children will be as well. The thought sends a chill down Valeria's spine.

As she sits on the stairs, peering down at her perfectly painted nails, Valeria begins to think over the possibility of Luke leaving camp to accompany Percy on his quest.

Luke is considered to be the best swordsman in camp, meaning he's more than capable of protecting Percy if they happen to come across any monsters along the way — and, although he doesn't like to mention it, has unlimited resources for traveling because of his heritage.

He's the perfect candidate.

Despite her better judgment, Valeria hopes that Percy won't choose him. She knows it's selfish of her, but ever since Luke returned from his own quest with that scar down the side of his face merely two years ago, nothing else has scared Valeria more than the idea of him leaving again.

"Hey."

Valeria looks up to meet Luke's gaze as he approaches her with a light nod.

"Hey," she says, forcing herself to muster a convincing smile. "How'd it go?"

Luke shrugs a shoulder, pausing a few feet from her. "Pretty good, I guess."

The pit in Valeria's stomach seems to grow at the impending question that remains in her thoughts as she contemplates whether or not to voice it aloud. Fortunately, Luke seems to be aware of the tense and high-strung atmosphere between them, and he shakes his head with a gentle laugh. Valeria looks up at him with creased brows, puzzled by his behavior.

"I'm not going, Val."

Her lips part as though to speak, but no words manage to escape. The relief that floods her veins when Luke continues is euphoric.

"Percy didn't choose me—"

Valeria jumps up from her place on the steps and rushes forward, throwing her arms tightly around his neck to pull him into an embrace. Luke stumbles slightly, though he still moves to wrap his arms around her waist as he steadies them. He smiles into her hair.

"You'd miss me that much, huh?"

She rolls her eyes. "I never said that."