9. Roof Top, Classroom Building

Having Hanni over for dinner felt like another dream. Her parents loved talking to the cheerleader, her little sister was already in love and Hanni also had a great time.

Constantly complimenting her mom about how good her food was. And knowing how much Minji's mom loves getting compliments, she invited Hanni to come by any time for dinner.

That made both of them go stiff. They were hoping there wouldn't be a next time. Even if Minji secretly wanted it, she knows that it can never, ever happen again.

They were both lucky that night because Dani and her family had a dinner to attend to, which explained why her best friend wasn't able to come over to her house and caught them immediately. Lucky really should be an understatement, but they'll accept it.

At least Hanni is aware that going back to Minji's house after today is a risky gamble and she should just choose the safest route.

But after the dinner and when Hanni was about to leave, Minji saw the Marsh's car coming back home, so she hid Hanni first and waited till Dani and her parents entered their house. After some thinking, Minji rushed upstairs to search her closet just to give Hanni her black hoodie.

"Wear this and make sure you cover your head with the hood."

"Okay? Won't she still recognize me?"

"Not unless you cover your face. And walk fast."

"Okay fine."

Minji sighed at the memory. Remembering how Hanni stole one last kiss on her cheek before running out into the street and painfully watching her go home alone. Because she wanted to go with Hanni to make sure she was safe, it was getting late, and she was walking home alone.

She shook her head. She needed to focus right now. Miss Lee was trying her best to get everyone to play the song without any interruptions and if she is off by even just a smidge from the beat, she will get skinned alive. Mostly because of embarrassment. Minji didn't like making mistakes, not unless she didn't care enough.

But her eyes focused on the notes on her sheet, beating the drum at the precise moment, listening carefully to everyone else playing so she doesn't lose her rhythm.

As much as she wants to concentrate, she just can't help but think about Hanni's soft lips on her face. Or her hands that gently caress her cheeks, or the way her body melted into hers.

Her heart was starting to have a beat on its own and Minji was having a hard time ignoring it. Her head was throbbing, not because of the healing bruise, but because she wanted to not think about it.

She forced herself to focus, knowing that they only had a few seconds until the song was finished. But in her head, in the same beat, she can only hear Hanni's voice, she can only think of her face, her lips, her body. Everything.

Everything was making it difficult for Minji. Because it was a secret. Her relationship, or whatever they had was a secret. To be kept from the world.

And even if she hated being rejected and hidden like this, she also hated lying.

"Okay!" Miss Lee clapped loudly as they all managed to land that last note perfectly, her teacher's smile was from ear to ear, and she glanced at everyone. "I think we're confident enough to say we nailed it."

Minji can see Kazuha sigh in relief, shaking her hands and cracking her knuckles. "I think we deserve a break, right Miss Lee?" Kazuha asked, making everyone expect an answer so eagerly.

Their teacher gave a scoff and nodded her head. "Alright, you guys do. But we're doing the same thing tomorrow, is that clear?"

Everyone in the club responded to Miss Lee with a mix of genuine enthusiasm and indifference. Some of their club members were tired of playing the same song over and over again and it was understandable given that the instruments they were using were either tricky to use or just needed to be banged or plucked on once in every beat.