6. A FRIEND IN NEED

'Get up Colin; c'mon it is a marvelous day today.'

'No, it is too early, go away.'

Still being half asleep and having yet to open his eyes, Colin brushed his face with his left hand and turned from his right side to move onto his left side.

'It is never too early to get up on such a fine day, besides it is almost midday.'

The room brightened and Colin opened his eyes for a brief second or two and saw someone very familiar to him. In the following moments after having closed his eyes, Colin realized that something was not quite right. He soon sat up, yawned, and opened his eyes properly. He was at this particular moment alone, and why shouldn't he be alone? For he has lived alone for quite some time, well as alone as one can be when such a person receives visits quite frequently from those who are no longer living.

Though on this particular morning, Colin needed to take a moment or two to think to himself 'am I, was I ... dreaming?' for he was sure that his good friend AJ Foley had been trying to wake him. What would AJ be doing around at Colin's house at this time of the morning? Where did he go?

Morning? Colin must have had been dreaming, though he watched as his digital clock on his bedside locker change as morning became afternoon. It was indeed midday. The room was bright too. The curtains had been pulled back and it appeared that the sun was shining bright outside. Colin had yet to stand, so how did his curtains come to be pulled back?

His phone began to ring. He reached and grabbed it from beside the digital clock though noticing the caller ID gave cause for Colin to struggle with answering the call. The morning that had become afternoon would soon become early evening and as far as Colin was concerned, there was nothing marvelous about this day at all.

The gift that Colin had decided to embrace rather than look upon with disdain had brought him to the town's funeral parlour on many occasions in the past though this latest visit was brought on by something more of a personal event. There were a few people around the inside this building, some of whom people Colin vaguely knew. He walked up to the unclosed casket.

'What have you done my friend? What happened to you?'

'Long story, one that I will tell you at another time.'

AJ's voice had just spoken though it did not come from inside the coffin within which he lay still. Colin could only presume that he was the only one who had heard his dearly departed friend speak, so he tried to remain as calm as he could. Yeah, he couldn't allow himself any emotion other than sadness, especially as an older woman was approaching, crying. It was clear that this lady must be AJ's mother. Colin had never met either of his best friend's parents. Kinda odd that, really. He had never considered that fact before now.

'They say he went quickly. He didn't suffer much at all.'

Her tears began to flow a little heavier.

'There now mum, please don't cry. I am alright and I am right here beside you.'

Of course, though, and as it is, AJ's mother was unaware of her son's spiritual presence. Colin would soon make his way outside and the spirit of his good friend would soon appear to his left, not only did AJ appear but he did so in a manner that would have Colin stare at his friend with a look on his face which would ask 'what are you wearing?'

'You like it' speaks AJ with excitement and a rather large smile, 'this is cool, very cool, isn't it?'

'No, my friend, it is not very cool, not cool at all. You have just died; I still do not know how or why, and you stand here beside me in an all-white suit being as happy as I have ever seen you.'