Chapter 4

A/N: Just a reminder that time is measured in "clicks" where one click = one second.

Therefore...

Hectoclick = 100 seconds

Kiloclick = 16 minutes, 40 seconds

Megaclick = 11.6 days

Gigaclick = 31.7 years

Teraclick = 31,700 years

_ _ _ _ _

H'zashi struggled to divide his attention between the Terran in his own cell and what was happening in A'zawa's cell, not that there was anything he'd be able to do anything about it, if the blue-furred Terran decided to attack A'zawa.

The green-furred Terran, to H'zashi's surprise, started to introduce himself, and it seemed to be a similar circumstance in A'zawa's cell with the blue-furred Terran, as well.

Except, for some reason, the green-furred Terran must not have liked what he was hearing, as he interrupted the introductions to go argue with the blue-furred Terran some more.

Eventually, H'zashi got it right that the green-furred Terran's name was "Midoriya." It was a pretty smooth sounding name, if not a little boring without any clicks or chirps to break up the syllables. H'zashi learned that the Terran must be at least decently patient, not immediately giving up or flying into a rage when H'zashi did not pronounce his name correctly the first few tries.

When it was H'zashi's turn to introduce himself, he copied the motion of putting his wing against his chest and said his name aloud. When Midoriya did not try to say his name right away, H'zashi just continued to say his name again. He was starting to wonder by the third time he said his name if Terrans are even capable of making the sounds required to say his name correctly, but the Terran finally gave it a shot after the fourth time he said his name and it was correct–the very first time the Terran tried!

Was mimicry a talent that Terrans had? Were they not already terrifying enough?

H'zashi broke himself out of his thoughts to clack his beak in confirmation at Midoriya. Midoriya then bared his teeth at H'zashi.

H'zashi tensed in momentary fear before all of his research on Terra and its inhabitants came rushing back to him.

That's how they smile, he reminded himself. Midoriya is pleased, not angry.

He might not have corrected himself so quickly if he wasn't used to A'zawa's culture; they, too, bared their teeth in pleasure and greeting. It was one of the reasons why thretuils were considered an outcast species among the universe.

It was odd seeing a smile on a face that wasn't A'zawa's.

H'zashi attempted to smile back, hoping that his earlier practice in the mirrors on the space ship back in Terra's solar system when he first learned about their odd ways of smiling and showing pleasure and friendliness had paid off and stuck with him. He hoped that it didn't look as awkward as it felt as he forced himself to bare his teeth at his cellmate against all his instincts that screamed that he was starting a fight.

The Terran–Midoriya–called over to the blue-furred Terran. H'zashi took that moment to see how A'zawa was faring and saw wide, stretched out smiles and wide eyes on both the Terran's and A'zawa's faces.

It looked like the initial greeting was going well. Maybe H'zashi was worrying over nothing.

Midoriya touched the floor and said a word in his Terran language, and H'zashi could have taken flight with how giddy he became that the Terran was willing to share his language with him.