thirty seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN
[37]
song: abandoned mansion by dr. dog

"What are we waiting for?" Kiara asks as JJ and Pope approach the backyard.

Cassie sat beside her on one a thick branch of the big tree at The Cheateau, their legs dangling over the grass, the golden string lights glowing above their heads as they strung from the tree to the house.

"John B." JJ says, tossing his empty beer can in the trash as he walked past it. "And Sarah."

"Where they at?" Cleo asks, as Cassie leaned down to help pull her up onto the branch too.

"Topper decided to press charges." JJ was clearly fuming. "They got John B."

"He's in jail?" Kiara asks, surprised.

"But Sarah says she's got a plan, or something." He huffs, then rubs his forehead. "I don't know."

"That's two for two." Pope says, gesturing at Cassie.

"Yeah, you two could've been cell-mates." JJ says.

She scowls at him, scooting over to give Cleo some room to sit. "Funny."

The night sky loomed over the group as they waited. That distinct smell in the air that told them a storm was coming, humid and sweet. The crackle of heat lightning bursting in the air miles away.

Cassie told Rafe she'd stay out of trouble, just to ease his mind, or better yet, keep him from doing something stupid again. She told him she was going to help them figure out a plan, and then hang back as they went on to South America.

And she felt bad lying to him. When all he was doing was looking out for her. Especially when it felt so good to have someone who cared enough to do that. But despite all her guilty thoughts, she knew she was doing the right thing by her friends. She owed them that.

"My parents are gonna kill me." Kiara muttered, scanning The Chateau with worried eyes.

Cassie turned and looked at her. There was nothing she could say that would bring the girl any comfort. No 'they'll understand' or 'they won't even notice'. Kiara had pushed it and pushed it with her parents, and it was only a matter of time before they took different measures.

Pope came and handed the girls his leftover fries from dinner, Cleo grabbing the to-go box from his hands and passing it to Cassie beside her. "What's his problem?" She asked, nodding towards JJ who sat down on the porch step alone.

Pope glanced at him, then turned back to the girls. He looks at Cassie and Kiara specifically. "Any ideas?"

Kiara shakes her head. "I haven't talked to him." She says annoyedly.

Cassie looked at her. It was obvious on her face that she wanted to, she wanted to talk to him about last night, but JJ was too stubborn to admit he was in the wrong. All it took was for him to understand that Kiara wants to be there. She wants to help. But she wasn't raised by the same people who raised JJ and Cassie. Her parents care where she disappears to, and who she hangs out with. And that came with its own pros and cons.

"He's been pouty all day." Cassie shrugs. "Just leave him alone. He'll get over it."

"I just wish he would listen to me instead of getting so snappy the second things don't go his way." Kiara says frustratedly. "I feel like I'm walking on egg-shells around him. Like I might slip up and say something that leans too Kook and he'll freak."