forty two

CHAPTER FORTY TWO
[42]
song: let it burn by goat

They walked for miles. Uphill, on rocky, unpaved paths. Through humid air, and cobwebs, while swatting away mosquitoes and palm leaves with their machetes simultaneously.

At one point, it was starting to feel completely hopeless. No one was really confident that this hike they were going on was getting them anywhere. And the farther they climbed through this jungle, the more worried they became that they might forget their way back out.

"You're sure we're going the right way?" Kiara had spoken up at some point, in between heavy breathing as they'd just walked up a steep spot.

Pope, who lead the group, pushed some branches out of the way. "Positive. We're trying to get to that peak up there."

JJ squints at the sunlight beaming through the leaves, trying to see what peak Pope was pointing to. "That's gonna take us all night."

"I didn't say we'd get there quickly." Pope had responded.

Cassie wasn't sure if the pain in her side had truly subsided, or if she'd just gotten used to it. Every once in a while, she'd completely forget it was even there. That is until they have to bend down under a fallen tree to get past, or Rafe has to pull her up by her arm onto a tall rock.

Her backpack and jacket did well in concealing the blood that seeped through the bandana. She couldn't tell if it was still bleeding, she hadn't had a moment to herself to check.

It hurt, and it slowed her down a bit, but more than anything, she didn't want to be the reason they gave up and turned back. Just by being here, somewhere deep down in Cassie's mind, she still felt like a burden.

Like someone who tagged along but wasn't needed. Someone who was really only there because she was JJ's sister, and no matter how much she pissed them off, they couldn't shake her.

And Cassie knew they didn't feel that way. But that didn't mean all of these thoughts she'd had her whole life would suddenly just disappear when someone would tell her that wasn't the case.

But now, with this gaping wound in her side, all of her fears were coming true. She could already see the knowing, bothered glances exchanged if she told them she couldn't carry on. Or the way JJ would feel obligated to stay back with her, even though she knew he wanted to carry on.

She'd tried so hard to feel like a valuable asset to the team. And for a second there, she felt like she'd finally settled into this lifestyle that they all continuously lead. But here she was, recoiling in pain with each step.

"You got it?" Rafe asked, turning around and reaching his hand out to help Cassie step onto a rock in a small stream they were passing.

She grabbed onto him and tried not to slip. "Mhm." She muttered back.

Rafe watched as she sucked in a sharp breath through her teeth before making the next move onto the other side of the stream. "Your arm still bothering you?" He asked, as they began to follow after the rest of the group again.

"Yeah." Cassie responded. She'd told Rafe her arm was bothering her after he'd noticed her wince and clench her teeth too many times. "Must've pulled something."