15. Heart ache.

Double updates😃

Safiyya halted in her steps as her eyes trailed to their hands, making her heart skip some beats. 

Irene saw an opportunity to squeeze Alfred's hand and continued albeit loudly this time. "People who don't know their place and try to assume positions that they can never get in their lives. You give them an inch and they take a mile. Going miles that they sail on the moon," she tilted her head and eyed Safiyya, feeling pleased with the expression on the young woman's face. "I was waiting for you, Miss Suraj," she added and Safiyya shifted her gaze from their hands to her face. She blinked those emotions from her eyes and started back hard at Irene. 

Alfred immediately pulled his hand back not saying anything. He has to see something today. 

Having gotten a go-ahead, Irene raised her head higher. "Concerning your disobedience today, shouldn't you be punished for that? Just because you got the chance to work on the CEO's project, you think that you have a large position in the office. In such an important meeting, you dared to oppose your superior's decisions and even raised your voice. This insolent behavior should be questioned. Right Alfred?" she glanced at Alfred and his gaze on Safiyya hardened quizzically with a bit of anger. 

Safiyya looked at him, sharing a silent message at his unresponsive answer. 

'If you won't support me, I have my mouth to support myself,' she thought and turned back to Irene. She can vividly see the satisfaction and arrogance in this woman's face which was enough to irritate her. 

"I respected you Ma'am Irene and that's why I apologized," she began, making the woman furrow her brows. Respected?

"I also know that in moral conduct, the one who is being spoken to should be the one to answer. Not a third party," 

Irene was quiet before she laughed sarcastically. "In case you have forgotten, I am the vice CEO of Hill Corp and my words are the same as the CEO's. Respect that will you?" 

"I never knew that the CEO had the same status as the vice," Safiyya returned innocently. 

Irene narrowed her eyes, wondering where this girl was getting these confident words from. The words were right on mark and she knew that. 

"You undermine me a lot, don't you? Stop wasting your time by sticking your nose in somebody else business. This is a criminal case, so, don't end up getting involved," she 'advised'. 

Safiyya smiled faintly at this. "If I can assist in any way possible, why should I stay quiet? I might have spent a short time in Hill Corp but it's enough for me to know who is trustworthy and who is not," 

The message reached through Itene but she wouldn't admit her guilt here ever, so she smirked and said, "Are you doing this to garner favor or what?"

Safiyya shook her head and stated, 

"I am doing this to get justice for an innocent man and not for anything else. I've seen injustice against me and even if it wasn't addressed, I chose to let it go because I have more important things to do than go after other's life," 

"You have a lot to say, don't you? With the projects you have to manage, I'm starting to wonder if you won't cause great problems for Hill Corp. Something bad almost happened today," Irene returned accusingly. 

"Don't worry Ma'am, I respect my work a lot," Safiyya said and looked at Alfred. "And I won't let anyone down within my efforts. I was here for work anyways," she added and walked over to drop the files in her hands on the table and took all in her not to drop it harshly. 

"I'll take my leave," she turned around immediately and left. 

Irene breathed in sharply and hissed. That girl was lucky that Alfred was here if not, only she knew what she would have done to her. 

"I am sure you can see the attitude of who you hired and support. Better do something about it before she gets worse," she turned to Alfred and said. 

Alfred ignored her words as he stared at the files before him while thinking of Safiyya's reaction just now. He saw a level of anger and blame in her eyes that was nonexistent before and he marveled at her degree of self-control. 

"What files are these?" Irene asked reaching out for them but he instantly stamped his palm on it. 

"This isn't your work is it?" he asked coldly. 

Irene forced a smile. "Come on, I just want to see," 

"Don't take a mile when given an inch. I am sure that you have a lot of jobs to attend to, so go and do your job and leave mine," he told her and she blanked because her words were returned to her. Before she said anything, he added, "Don't come to my office if it isn't important Irene. We have a lot on our plates and I don't like unnecessary distractions," 

Irene pursed her lips tightly as she stared at his unwavering countenance. 

"Alright, " she stated and stood up to leave. Alfred didn't even glance her way as he heard the door close. He sighed and picked up the first file, his thoughts flowing back to his wife. Irene might think that he was supporting all she did before him but he chose to be quiet so as not to disrespect her before Safiyya. He still hasn't confirmed anything, so he is keeping the respect he has for her but he doesn't know how long he can keep up with that. He also wanted to see Safiyya fight for herself but did he go too far? 

Meanwhile, Safiyya arrived at her office and sat in the chair with a pout. She rubbed her chest with a pained expression. She wondered why she was feeling angry and pained now and her chest aching. No, it was her heart. Her heart was in pain. 

💞💞💞
Salam adorables. I wrote two chapters and the next will take more time. I have to say this, school has tied me up. I really have to focus. Let's be patient🥰

🙃 There is someone or two that we miss from SBM. Prepare to meet them soon. Fi Amani Allah.