Chapter 15: Welcome to the Party

"Neon pink and sky blue?"

Lux shook her head, tightening the straps on her rucksack, "Too light, down here it'll be stained in a heartbeat."

"Razzin' frazzin' Zaunite Gray, can't pick any colors other than like, black or brown," grumbled Jinx, ratcheting down the last canister of boosted chem fuel onto the extra-large hoverboard. An instant later, "Oh, what about neon teal and glitter gold?"

The light in the room seemed to dim as Lux's eyes began to glow like a pair of eldritch stars, "We're not talking about neon teal for a while, babygirl."

"...what about neon turquoise?"

Lux glared at Jinx, who just smiled with all the sass in the world. "You know you're on thin ice, right?"

Jinx tossed the wrench aside and started strapping down her and Lux's personal effects to the back of the board, careful to not block the fans, or the modified rockets. "Nah, I can see the laugh scribbles over your head, you like it when I'm being cheeky."

Resisting the mildly insane urge to try and see what was above her head, Lux settled for pinching the bridge of her nose, and letting out the laugh she'd been trying to hold in for gods only knew what reason. "Okay, you got me there, my heart. But what do you mean, laugh scribbles? I thought your magic summoned the spirits of the dead?"

Jinx shrugged and climbed onto the board, left foot forward, right foot next to their bags. Slipping her feet into the stirrups, Jinx twisted her hips, causing the stirrups to lock into place. "I mean, maybe? But if they're like, all soulsy and stuff, don't I have to do something to hold on to them, to stop them from reincarnating? Hell, I'd get rid of most of them if I could."

There was a pause, as Jinx frowned at a corner of the room, "Mylo, I'm gonna learn how to use my magic, then I'm gonna manifest you, and then I'm gonna beat the snot out of you."

Her magenta eyes darted across the landing bay, and Jinx all but growled at a different corner after another moment of relative silence. Lux moved up to her snarling lover and gently cupped one cheek. The fight went out of Jinx like a switch was flipped, and after a moment, she shook her head, shooting Lux an apologetic grin.

"Sorry about that, Blondie. Oh, but anyway, I know like, nothin' 'bout magic, but this doesn't feel like I'd imagine spooky scary skeletons would feel like? Just feels like thoughts, I guess."

Lux nodded and climbed onto the board, sitting down in front of Jinx, her feet slipping into stirrups hastily welded on either side of a strapped down Pow-Pow. Lux blinked, realizing that the gun swiveled a little bit as she nudged it, and looking underneath it, saw that Jinx had built a cradle situated on a ball joint to tie the gun to.

Looking back at her blue-haired soulmate, Lux just arched one eyebrow.

"What? Thought you might get bored sitting there." Jinx tossed Lux her respirator, as well as a set of goggles. "Strap in Sunshine, we're gonna go score some new digs."

Lux sighed, but grinned before hiding her smile behind the respirator, adjusting the strap on the goggles until they fit properly as Jinx kicked a leaver and the hoverboard thrummed to life. There was an odd sensation of weightlessness as the fans spun up, and in just a few seconds they were airborne. Lux noticed that they were sluggish though, moving like a leaf on a placid body of water. "Babygirl, if we're about to storm what I suspect is a heavily defended location, aren't we gonna be sitting ducks riding this thing?"

Jinx held up a remote trigger switch, a fang-filled grin painted onto her own respirator, "Clench your teeth Blondie, we gonna go zoomin'!"

Before Lux could say anything else, Jinx tossed a trio of chattering canisters behind them and hit the trigger. Howling like the souls of the damned, the rockets lit up, and the entire board was thrown forward like the world's largest crossbow bolt.