Chapter 28: Play With Fire

"I cannot believe you would be so reckless as to blow up Piltover's docks!" Jayce bellowed, waving his arms around in a way that Jinx would have found funny if this wasn't like, the thirtieth time he'd said the exact same words over the last few hours.

Jinx rolled her eyes and turned to Viktor, "Vikky, do you believe I'd be that reckless?"

"Don't call me Vikky, and yes."

Turning to her wife-to-be, Jinx fluttered her eyelashes, "Sunshine, how about you, do you think I can be reckless?"

Lux nodded, "Oh certainly, if the risk is worth the reward. Or if it's funny enough."

Jinx shrugged and turned back to Jayce, "There ya have it, I'm reckless. But really, that's beside the point, since I'm not the one who blew up the docks, you did."

The errant councilman threw his hands up, his eyes wide either rage, disbelief, or indigestion. Jinx didn't really think it was the third one, but hey, stranger things were true.

Jinx blinked, realizing that words were still being said. She turned to face Jayce, walking backwards as she went, "I'm sorry, you were saying something and I totally tuned you out, can you start again from the top?"

Lux and even Viktor snickered as Hextech's poster boy seemed to visibly deflate, "I just want to know, why did you bomb the docks?"

Shrugging, Jinx spun one finger in a lazy circle, "Well, what goes around comes around. The fancy pants blockades and whatnot mean Zaun's growing a little light on food at the moment. Figured I'd just, ya know, spread the joy of imminent starvation."

"That's..." Jayce started, but then stopped, head bowed, "I don't like it, but I understand. It makes a cruel sort of sense."

Jinx nodded, and cracked her knuckles one by one, "Also, like I said, technically you bombed the docks, but the explosives were placed on my order, so I guess we can share that terrorism charge or somethin'."

"On your orders?"

Jinx turned to face Viktor, "Yeah, my orders as Chem-Empress... did I not mention that? Sunshine, did we forget to mention that?"

Lux rubbed one temple while Viktor and Jayce picked their respective jaws off the floor, nearly stumbling to a halt entirely as the implications of what Jinx just casually admitted rattled around in their minds.

Lux just smiled absently and nodded, "I suppose we did, my heart. To be fair, it's a rather new development for us all."

They continued to walk in silence, part awkward and part comfortable, for another few minutes, before Viktor cleared his throat, "If you don't mind me asking, where are we going?"

Nodding, Jinx gestured wildly, "We're going to get lunch. Thought maybe we could swing by someplace nearby, or see if Jericho's is open, but right now I figured we'd just go back to the Last Drop, get all the displaced Pilties in one spot, ya know?"

Shaking like a dog throwing off water, Jayce boggled at Jinx, "Wait, so more mages fled? How did they get across the barricade? Is it anyone we know?"

Jinx rolled her eyes, "No, they didn't, and yes, in that order." She paused, then shuddered, "Oh gods, if Vi turns out to be a mage, I owe Ekko another two gears."

Lux raised an eyebrow, and clicked her tongue, "Sunflower, have you been making more ill-advised bets against Ekko? Don't you already owe him four gears?"

"It wasn't that ill-advised!" Jinx wailed, "He argued we'd both be mages cause we're related, but I know cause you know that magic doesn't do it like that! It's totally random bullshit!"