0.05

ACT I : SCENE V — "a very tense reading"

— GRAYSON, Valeria, and Odette were—wrongfully so—being given an earful by Alisa Ortega, Tobias Hawthorne's lawyer, once they had returned to Hawthorne House.

     "You're grounding us?!" Valeria exclaimed, her hands holding her rose cheeks in shock at Alisa's words. "What are we, seven?!?"

     Alisa glared them down, drinking in their surprised appearance with glee as a smirk tugged at her lips. "It would appear so! Didn't I tell you not to get involved? I was working on getting to her by letters! Remember that?"

     Grayson scoffed indignantly, his eyes narrowed as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned on his right leg. Valeria, on the other hand, couldn't resist her pouted lips as she stomped her foot, much like a toddler who didn't get their way. Odette stood quietly with her gaze to the ground, her coils falling over her face and hiding the embarrassed expression she held.

     Being told off by Alisa Ortega wasn't exactly a fun thing to endure.

     "Thanks to us, Avery Kylie Grambs and her sister are on their way to Hawthorne House right now," mentioned Grayson, his tone stern yet careful around Alisa's lethal eyes. "Had you done it your way, we'd probably have to wait another three weeks to read the will."

     "Oh, so we're talking back now?" Alisa muttered, stalking up to the younger Hawthorne with power behind each of her steps.

     Afraid of what Alisa Ortega was capable of, Grayson rushed to hide behind Valeria, who wasn't quite sure of what to do. Equally as terrified, she squeaked quietly and told him off.

     "What makes you think I'll protect you from Alisa?!" Valeria exclaimed, turning around and gripping Grayson's shoulders as he was pulled to shield the brunette girl, instead. "I have no power over her!!"

     "Neither do I!"

     "Then shut up and take her on your own, dummy!"

     Alisa held Grayson's ear tightly in her fingers, making him flinch in agony. Valeria ran behind Odette, whose chocolate skin looked much paler than before. The two girls hugged each other securely as if to combat Ortega's mean spirit.

     Grayson twisted his face with regret, quiet as Alisa began to speak: "Listen. I told you to stay put, didn't I? Next time I tell you something, act on it! You had no right to go behind my back and bring the girl here."

     "Alright, alright! I'm sorry, okay? Stop treating me like a child!"

     "Then stop acting like one."

     With a huff, Alisa soothed Grayson's ear gently before rushing away from the three. She opened the front door, then stepped outside to wait for the Grambs sisters.

     The uncomfortable silence brought a smile to Valeria's face. Then, she laughed. Valeria thought the whole situation was foolish and rather immature, yet she couldn't help but chuckle at Grayson's hurt and embarrassed face and Odette's terrified expression.

     Grayson rubbed his ear softly, glaring at Valeria with deadly eyes. "What's so funny to you?"

     Valeria couldn't respond, still howling with laughter and hunching over slightly with her arms tightening around her stomach. Tears pricked at her eyes, her cheeks sore from the exercise.

     "Alisa's really scary," she finally breathed.

     Odette followed with quiet, still scared, laughter, Grayson joining them soon after. The trio stood still for a couple of minutes, enjoying their time spent before they all marched their separate ways.