Chapter 3

𝓢𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓲𝓽𝔂

I find myself perched on the edge of my seat, with the two right legs of my seat touching the ground and the other two wafting unsteadily in the air, inciting me to topple over, as I'm rifling through my bag for my old and worn out iPad.

With the bell as my heroic saviour, I managed to escape the enquiries from the teacher and I dashed out of there as quick as my legs could carry me. I tried looking for my group of friends, but then I got held up by this massive group of boys in the corridor, which meant that I had to wait for them all to disperse before I could stumble up the stairs. Luckily, I made it in time, but that left me to be one of the last people to enter the classroom for form time, leaving everyone's eyes to linger on me as I barged in, my breath ragged from climbing the stairs.

Form time is just twenty minutes at the start of the day that are completely useless. Teachers inform students of detention when they're late, enlighten us with oh-so-interesting news, and take a register on their iPads, which always ends up being sent too early or too late, resulting in one of the reception ladies hauling themselves up flights of stairs just to check if the register they received was accurate or not. Most of the time though, it's completely fine, so I really don't see why they bother even if it's they're job after all.

Just as I fish out my iPad from my bag and the final bell begins to sound, I observe my friends cackling with laughter and pushing each other through the door, attempting to get into the room before the bell finishes ringing.

The first person to catch my attention is Indie with her gleaming, tanned skin (despite this horrific British weather) who loves to go on holiday whenever she gets the chance to. She's the most popular in our little group, being on the school's girl's football and netball team, as well as being friends with practically everyone in our year group, even the boys who've taken a liking to her striking, glammed-up appearance and endearing personality. Despite the sports she plays, she always looks presentable; even when she's all hot and sweaty, she manages to look effortlessly stunning. She's always chatting away to someone or laughing, adding to the fun by making others guffaw from her humorous comments. Her contagious personality spreads like a wildfire, leaving laughter and amusement to flutter around her.

Then there's Aisha, who hurries in behind her, her head thrown back in laughter. She's just as comical as Indie with the same likeable personality. She has green eyes that she inherited from her Syrian mother and glowing, light brown skin that was passed down from her Pakistani father, as well as shimmering hair that's concealed by a black, sleek hijab, framing her face perfectly. Compared to Indie, she isn't as sporty, and is somewhat more academic. She's also fairly persuasive - even when she's getting told off in lessons for talking too loud or laughing when she shouldn't be, she'll find a way to lighten the consequence. Her and Indie are always right by each other's sides all the time.

Right after her stumbles in Nala and Sophia, wide grins gracing both of their features. Nala is our crazy, Nigerian friend and the most hyper member of the group. She's always dancing or laughing - which irks the teachers much more than it should. Her eyes are as warm as honey, and her skin glows as bright as the sun, and it leaves me to think about the beauty secrets she seems to be hiding. Her hair is gorgeous; she has long, black hair that's separated into hundreds of little braids, a mesmerising hairstyle that must have taken ages to do. There's her, who can sit for hours having her hair braided, and then there's me, who can't summon the patience to even brush my hair as I deal with the infinite amount of knots.

Last of all, there's Sophia, the girl who prevents Nala from going too crazy. She's the complete opposite, a quieter girl, with soft, blonde curls and ocean blue eyes, as well as a splatter of freckles that dust her nose. Sophia's the calmest of the four, yet equally as beautiful and eye-catching and with the same witty humour.