CHAPTER ELEVEN [EDITED]

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

CHAPTER ELEVEN

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Ishani kept her head down, navigating the labyrinthine path with the help of the map Naman had drawn for her that she had committed to memory. Every step she took was measured, her pace quick but cautious, careful not to raise any suspicion. Though not particularly spiritual, Ishani found herself silently calling upon a higher power for assistance.

Passing the garden that the windows from her quarters overlooked, memories tugged at her heart. Just days ago, her father had laughed with her along this very path. Now, she walked these same steps to escape being murdered. Determined to push aside the painful memories, she increased her pace.

She halted at the fork in the path. Her eyes narrowed as she scrutinised the two curved pathways that circled the Chamber of Glass, its radiant glass shimmering even in the dark of night. She knew one path led to the main kitchen, while the other led to the game room. She desperately tried to recall Naman's map, racking her brain to decide the correct path. The weight of time pressed on her and she nervously glanced around, knowing she couldn't afford to linger.

Closing her eyes, she visualised the map, relying on her intuition to guide her. Resolute, she followed her gut and hurried down the chosen path. As she opened the door that it led to, an opulent foyer greeted her. Adorned with Igberu rugs and elegant dark furniture, it emanated an air of grandeur. Ishani surveyed the various doors and the curved staircase that led to another section of the building. This looked too luxurious to be the kitchen and she could not smell the lingering smell of dinner in the air.

Realising her intuition had led her astray, Ishani swiftly retraced her steps and followed the left pathway this time. She pushed against the heavy ornate doors and entered a sparse foyer, its sole adornments a few racks attached to the wall that held cloaks. Her eyes scanned the multi-tiered trolleys that lined the space and caught the aromatic and savoury scent of food. Determined she was in the right place, she ventured deeper into the building, her senses alert.

The noise of shuffling feet and muttering was coming from farther ahead. Her gaze darted toward a nearby door on her left. Treading cautiously, she approached it, her heart pounding in her chest. Just as her hand reached for the doorknob, it swung open, and she instinctively ducked into a recess in the wall. Barely concealed, she held her breath and her mouth dried.

Her hand flew to her mouth to repress a gasp as she looked at the distinct red tunic and billowing dark blue cape. A Phitrekan soldier. Blood rushed to her ears as the gravity of Naman's warning finally sank in.

Remaining hidden in the recess, Ishani attempted to steady her racing heart, reminding herself that she had no choice but to escape. Now the gravity of the risks sank in, she would just try to be as careful as she could. Well, as careful as she could be when diving headfirst into danger, Ishani thought with a bitter smile.

Waiting for a moment of respite, she sprang into action as soon as she determined the coast was clear, swiftly slipping through the door the Phitrekan soldier had exited.

Once inside, she closed the door behind her. She looked at the dimly lit staircase that greeted her. She strained her ears to ensure that she was alone before descending the stairs. She gripped the wall as the darkness obscured her vision. As she stepped into the cellar, candle sconces bathed the room in a flickering glow.