8

As the rain poured relentlessly outside, Ricky and Jiwoong trudged through the mall, to enjoy the afternoon hanging out with Ricky's best friends. They ran into Zhang Hao at the entrance, and were on their way to the upscale cafe where his boyfriend, Hanbin, was already eagerly waiting for them.

They could already see the boy sitting at one of the couches, his attention absorbed by the phone in his hand, as they passed the counter to pick up their pre-ordered drinks. Hao sauntered over to Hanbin, his smile radiant as he greeted the younger with a cup of coffee, sitting on the armrest of the small couch with an arm around his shoulder.

"Hi, babe!" Hao beamed, being greeted with a sweet kiss in return.

"What are you guys doing next weekend?" Hanbin asked, turning his attention to Ricky and Jiwoong, after greeting them.

Ricky shrugged, a hint of fatigue evident in his demeanor. "Nothing much... Jiwoong managed to take the weekend off, so we were thinking of just staying home."

"No, you're not," Hao exclaimed, his excitement palpable as he continued, "Not anymore! Yujinnie made plans, let's go!"

"What?" Ricky asked, looking confused between the two boys.

"Yujinnie is kinda mad at Gyuvin because he didn't tell him he was coming here last month, so he wants to go to Paris with him," Hanbin patiently explained, with a smile. "So, yeah... We're flying next Thursday. Are you coming?"

Ricky's eyes widened, as well as his smile. "HELL YEAH!! Count us in," he jumped up clapping, looking at Jiwoong. "You're gonna love Paris!"

Jiwoong's uncertainty was evident as he voiced his concern. "But that's, like... Five days away?"

The others just nodded, smiling. Jiwoong mirrored their smiles so as to not ruin the mood, but knowing deep down that Ricky would be disappointed later on.

After spending a few hours together, Hanbin offered to drive Ricky and Jiwoong back to the university dorms. Once they were alone, Jiwoong's facade of cheerfulness crumbled as he turned to Ricky, his face clearly displaying his sadness.

"Hyung? What 's wrong?" Ricky asked, worried.

"I can't go, Ricky," Jiwoong confessed, his shoulders slumping with defeat. "I can't afford to go to Paris!"

Ricky's heart sank at his boyfriend's admission. "Hey, hey... Don't worry about it! It's on me, ok?" He managed a smile, holding the older's hand. "It's my birthday gift to you. And if you still think it's too much, make it birthday AND Christmas!"

"I can't accept that..." Jiwoong hesitated, once again feeling overwhelmed by his boyfriend's generosity. "That's way too much, you'll probably spend more than I make in an entire year!

"Please, Hyung." Ricky pleaded, desperation creeping into his voice. "I'll be alone there."

"You'll be with your friends. Besides, I don't even have a passport!"

"But... I thought your parents lived in Japan?" Ricky asked, puzzled.

"Yeah. They do. And I haven't seen them in years, ever since they left." He looked at the floor, the memories of his family flooding his mind as both stood in silence for a few minutes. "Please, Ricky. Go and enjoy your time with your friends. I'll have to work anyway, my manager just texted me that two of the guys are sick. "

"Fine," his voice sounded sad as he stood up pecking the other's lips. "I'm going home then. I have a lot of homework to do and I know you do too. See you tomorrow, ok?"