3| h̶o̶s̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶

( then ) 

( then ) 

      THE EMERGENCY ROOM was filled to the brim with people. The chaos was overwhelming and the hospital staff begged for a break in the waves of people. Patients were flooding in, complaining about just about anything you could possibly think of.

Pain, dizziness, hunger, and biting?

Rose had taken care of multiple people now who had presented with bite marks on some part of their body. It was odd—then again, many things that came into the ER were odd, to say the least. The rooms were all taken, and they had begun to line the overflow patients along the hallways, putting up dividers between each person. The incessant beeping of heart and pulse ox monitors screeched through the air, adding a layer of overstimulation to the constant chatter between staff and patients.

It was now getting close to night time and she prayed that it meant the flow of people would calm. She just needed a 10-minute break - that's it. She'd even bargain with 5 if it meant she could empty her bladder and sit the hell down. Her legs were sore, and her feet cramped up with each step she took. The shoes she wore that once gave her comfort and support now felt like rocks underneath her feet. Her mouth was dry and her stomach grumbled in hunger. She couldn't even remember the last time she had eaten today. Was it breakfast? She didn't know.

Sarah had made her cookies and if she didn't try one, that child would bring hell down upon her. She was fierce and stubborn, just like her father. The thought of Joel overtook Rose's head as she tuned out what her coworker was explaining to her. She thought back to the intense kiss they had shared a few days back. It made her stomach flutter and her lips tingle all over again. She could practically still feel his beard scratching her chin. She wasn't sure what it meant for the two of them, but she didn't regret it. It was something she held back for a long time - and she hoped he felt the same.

Rose felt like she was back in high school again, thinking about her crush. The man made her giddy and filled her body with butterflies. She hadn't felt that way in a long time. But once that southern accent and those sweet eyes entered her life, it was game over. And this was something that Sarah could easily tell. Being her sly self, she'd try and bring her and Joel together anytime she could. This only increased the small crush she was desperately trying to get rid of. But eventually, over time it began to feel like an unspoken thing was forming between the two. The stolen glances and lingering touches were like a high - both of them always coming back for more. But it had never went further than that.

Until the other night.

"Hey? Hey? Did you hear a word I said?" Her coworker brought her out of her jumbled thoughts.

"What? Uh sorry, it's just so busy in here. I'll catch up with you later." She mumbled as she walked away - her coworker blabbing still even as she retreated.