7| c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶

( now )

( now )

      ROSE WAS EXHAUSTED as she stumbled down an abandoned road that once seemed to be crawling with life. The only noise was the sound of her feet against the pavement, along with the soft chirp of a bird now and then. Her leg ached, and the dried, bloody piece of fabric that was wrapped around it was scrapping against the wound.

Despite how utterly alone and afraid the brunette felt, the sun was warm and comforting. She shuffled over to the road's edge and looked out over the railing. She looked at the giant buildings before her, unsure where to go from there.

She had only been to the city once to gather supplies; that was it, and it was a long time ago. She had no idea what was safe and what was crawling with infected - but she needed to get somewhere. It had been over 30 hours since she had been grazed by that jackass's bullet and she needed to find something to clean the wound.

She was starving, thirsty, tired, and all together just exhausted. She was happy to be free, but she needed to keep moving. They would come looking for her in the city, that was no doubt. That's what kept her going, kept her from collapsing into a heap and passing out - the sheer will to survive.

The brunette pushed herself off of the railing and continued into the city, walking in between the mass of abandoned cars. She stopped at each one, peering in, in hopes of finding supplies. She had found a small knife and some random pieces of clothing. She really hoped food would magically appear. With a sigh, she ran across the road and walked down the abandoned streets, trudging through the thick foliage that grew anywhere it could.

It was incredibly quiet and it made the brunette uncomfortable. She felt like an infected would jump out at her any second.

She approached a large building that had begun to be engulfed by cordyceps. She reached down and touched the fungus, breathing a sigh of relief at the dried up texture; meaning that it was old and more than likely any infected were gone.

Running her fingers through her hair, Rose made her way up the steps, preparing herself for what was on the other side.

She slowly opened the large door and slipped inside, her eyes landing on different glass cases that were smashed and cordyceps overtaking most of the place. She bit her lip as she gripped the knife she had found tighter and slowly made her way up the steps. She peeked down the hallway before creeping along, trying to make her footsteps as light as possible.

Just as she was about to open a door, the loud crashing of what seemed to be the building itself echoed throughout the place. Rose gasped and spun around as she heard screaming - human screaming. She ran up another small flight of steps and passed countless exhibits, busting into a room where a woman and kid were fending off clickers.

Without thinking it through, Rose ran at one of the infected and lodged her knife into its skull. The thing dropped like a doll as the brunette ripped the weapon out and ran after another.

The unknown woman finally gained the upper hand and bashed the clicker in front of her before kicking its limp body off of her. The young girl stared wide-eyed as she tried to get away from the creatures.

Rose let out a grunt as she stabbed the last clicker and shoved its body to the ground in anger. She didn't know why she was angry, but she was. Her chest heaved from the exertion and adrenaline that was coursing through her veins.

"Are you okay?" She asked the two as she gripped her knife.

The woman got to her feet and pushed the girl behind her slightly, unsure of the brunette. Rose shut the knife and put it in her pocket before raising her hands in surrender.

"I'm not a bad guy, okay." She said breathlessly, trying to ignore the throbbing pain of her leg now.

"Mhmm." The woman replied as the door beside her busted open.

"You two okay?" A deep voice asked from behind, making Rose freeze for a moment.

The click of a gun caused her to stiffen, keeping her hands up in peace.

"Turn around." The southern drawl sent a wave of dizziness through her head.

She slowly turned around, limping on her leg. Her eyes landed on a man she thought she'd never see again.

"Joel?" She barely whispered his name.

The man stared at her, his face unreadable as he processed who was in front of him. His hands slowly dropped the gun to his side and he simply just stood there for what seemed like minutes.

"Joel, whats going on?" The woman spoke up and walked over to him, the girl following behind her.

Joel put his gun away and slowly approached Rose. He was inches from her as he analyzed her face. He reached out and cupped her chin, angling her head down slightly. He ran a finger over the scar that had formed above her eyebrow from their car accident all that time ago when the world decided to end.

His eyes started to shimmer before he pulled away, unsure of how to cope with the sudden rush of emotions that hit him.

Then he engulfed Rose with his big arms, taking her into a giant hug. The brunette tensed at the touch momentarily until she felt peace - then she collapsed against him as tears poured down her face. Her hands loosely locked around his neck in attempts to steady herself, but the man held her firmly.

"Joel." She whispered through sobs as her body trembled.

"It's okay, Rose. I got ya."