5| p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶

( then )

( then )

        ROSE WAS AGGRESSIVELY pulled from her sleep as glass shattered onto her smooth skin. The sound of the break startled her to the core. She screamed in surprise as her car door whipped open, and two arms scooped her up. Her eyes finally landed on the familiar face of Joel, his features etched in fear and worry.

"Rose!" He ensured her feet were firmly on the ground before cupping her face in his hands.

"Jesus, Joel." That was all she could say as she tried to slow her heart rate.

"C'mon, baby. We gotta go." He looked her over one more time before grabbing her hand and pulling her to the truck.

She quickly opened the door and jumped inside, her eyes landing on a scared-looking Sarah. The brunette quickly pulled the girl into her arms as she shut the door behind her. Tommy, who was sat in the driver's seat, wasted no time and sped off down the lonely back roads.

Rose looked to the dark haired girl beside her, who was now safely tucked into her arms. The silence was deafening and there was so much she wanted to say, but couldn't find the words. After a few moments, the brunette spoke up.

"What is happening?" Her voice was barely a whisper, but both men heard her perfectly.

"Not sure." Tommy replied as his brother stayed silent, focusing on everything that they passed.

Tommy turned down a road and slammed the breaks as they were met with a very long line of cars backed up. In the distance, a fire was ablaze.

"Fuck. Everyone had the same fuckin idea." Joel muttered as he gripped the dashboard, trying to think of another way.

"Go through the field. We cut across and we pick up on the - on the west side." Joel pointed to the large open field up ahead. He glanced back to the women, worry still present on his face.

"Yeah, yeah. Alright." Tommy nodded his head and quickly reversed the car before heading for the field.

Suddenly, over the hill large military grade vehicles began approaching. Tommy slammed the breaks yet again and let out a string of curses as he watched them fill up the hill.

"Fuckin army!"

"Isn't that good?" Sarah asked in a small voice as she peeked out the window.

"Only for them." Rose told her as she squeezed her small hands.

"It's alright baby. Tommy head north." Joel assured his daughter before commanding his brother, who simply nodded.

Joel reached back and set his hand on Rose's knee, attempting to comfort her during the madness. The warmth of his large palm was comforting but it didn't stop the dread that was pumping through her with every beat of her heart.