Chapter 8 - The Hurt

~ZANDER~

Something broke and cured inside me at the same time when I heard about her return, my eyes kept staring at the screen of my phone while my thoughts wandered into pieces of my broken soul as my heart started thumping against my chest almost provoking me to accept her as she was back as she said in that letter.

"Uncle, are you okay?"

My eyes moved to Xarna who rushed inside my study like a storm and tried to sit on my lap but failed so I just lifted her and she adjusted herself comfortably over me, her tiny eyes browsed my face for a while and then she sighed like any mature person.

"Is something bothering you?"

I hummed and faked a smile at which she just shook her head.

"You promised that we would go for ice cream today, have you forgotten?"

I wanted to refuse but her puppy eyes convinced me, her presence almost drove my gloominess away.

A short ride later, we were in front of her favorite ice cream parlor as she was licking her favorite mint chocolate ice cream, I was leaning against the hood of my car lost in my deep thoughts, my face hardening and hands fisting roughly.

I don't know what I feel because I feel nothing other than endless rage and hatred towards her. The rift in my soul is just expanding every second that couldn't bear even the spec of her existence so it'll be better if we stay as strangers.

"Uncle, do you want some?"

Xarna offered me her ice cream innocently but I just refused and turned to the other side not wanting to upset her with my foul mood.

"You seem extra cold today".

Her comment was answered by my silence, my eyes roved across the street for some distraction and they froze at the sight of him, that smiling face that seemed happy, unlike my dark barren soul.

"Drake, take Xarna to her home safely".

I ordered the driver and he nodded as I walked across the street where he was busy talking over the phone, the contentment on his face was speaking of completion in his life unlike me as he seemed to have everything I was lacking.

"So you are back, Sameer!".

He was startled, his chocolate eyes took in my presence as his mouth was put into a straight line

"Princess, I have to go now so you should sleep".

My eyes curiously watched him hang up before he fully acknowledged my cold presence while my eyes just constricted at him darkly as he sighed.

We both eyed each other in silence, it was like a silent war between two sides of the light, just the difference was that one was as bright as the sun and the other was as dark as an eclipse. The darkness inside me cackled enormously as my eyes almost twitched to regain my calm composure because all I just wanted was to beat the shit out of him for so many fucked up reasons and one of them him being a certain reason for my misery.