good to be home

Connie

"Connie, it's so good to see you!" mom rushes over to me, engulfing me in a tight hug,

"Good to see you too, ma," I reply, hugging her back,

"Oh, it's been too long. Have you been eating well? Are you staying out of trouble? Where's Sasha? You said you'd bring her,"

I chuckle at my mom's onslaught of questions,

"I'll bring her here tomorrow. I dropped her off at her place,"

She gives me a sad smile,

"Of course. A shame that they're selling the land, isn't it?"

This is news to me...

"They are?"

Mom tilts her head slightly,

"You didn't know?"

I shake my head,

"Nah. I got out of there pretty quickly. I wanted to see you,"

She smiles at me, giving me a kiss on the cheek,

"I'm glad you decided to come this year,"

I scratch the back of my head, smiling sheepishly,

"Yeah... sorry 'bout that, ma,"

"That's no problem, hon. I know it's not always easy. I'm just happy you're here now,"

"Me too,"

"Well, go and settle in. I'm making gyros for lunch,"

"Ooft, yum," I mutter, beginning to climb the stairs.

I get to my room, knowing I should probably unpack, but choosing to just lie down in my bed.

My room's nothing special- single bed against the window, a desk, closet, and my old shit. Mostly comic books and video games.

I sit up, remembering something. I open up the drawer on my bedside table, pulling out an old metal box. I open it up and smirk to myself.

My old paraphernalia box.

I still had some weed and rolling papers in there, including a lighter and a pipe. I roll myself a joint, opening up my window as I light it. I sit there, smoking my joint, scrolling on my phone. By the time I finished the joint, I'm feeling pretty smooth.

I go downstairs to help my mom with the cooking. She doesn't really trust me in the kitchen, with good reason. Last time she did, I burnt pasta. I pretty much just chopped vegetables and hung out with mom in the kitchen.

I told her about how my music is going, and college. I told her about everything that happened with Steph. I mean, leaving out the part where we slept together.

Now we're eating the gyros she just made. As I take the first bite, I slump backwards in my chair, leaning my head back,

"Mom, this is so good! I've missed your cooking,"

Mom laughs lightly,

"I'm glad you still love my cooking. Even after all this time,"

I look to her, my eyes wide,

"I don't think I could ever get sick of you're cooking, ma,"

She smiles at me,

"Well, thank you, Connie,"

"How's the restaurant doing?" I ask.

Mom finishes chewing and swallowing her food before answering,

"Yeah, business is okay. Do you remember Mrs. Grayson from next door?"