IX

"I was still a child,Didn't get the chance toFeel the world around meHad no time to choose what I chose to do

Didn't get the chance to
Feel the world around me
Had no time to choose what I chose to do."
Easy on me - Adele

"COME ON!" Lisa Turpin yelled. "Levitate the feather!"

"It's not working!"

The blond girl groaned. "We've been over this. Wingardium leviosa— flick and swish."

Daphne concentrated on the feather in front of her. "Wingardium leviosa," she echoed, repeating the movement.

The feather didn't move. She threw her hands up in the air, about to throw her wand in the ground. Anthony Goldstein and Michael Corner began clapping in the background, and Lisa made them stop.

They were all in the disused classroom on the fourth floor, trying to teach Daphne some of the spells they had learned up to this moment. Anthony and Michael were, obviously, not helping, while Lisa was trying to teach Daphne.

In a corner of the room, there was a large mirror. They hadn't really minded it since it had nothing to do with their objective in the abandoned classroom.

"Dude, have you actually managed to do a spell since you've arrived?" Michael asked.

Daphne got red. "No," she quietly admitted. "Your sarcastic clapping ain't helping either."

"It's not sarcastic; we just weren't paying attention." Anthony defended, puffing his chest.

"Well, maybe I am the problem. I think it can happen- a person not having magic."

Was it possible Hecate had made a mistake? No. Because she was a goddess and a mighty, powerful one at that. She couldn't be wrong about Daphne, but it certainly felt like it. Even Neville Longbottom had managed to do at least a single spell at that point, and it was common Hogwarts knowledge he wasn't the most gifted boy.

She moved to sit beside the boys on the ground with her back supported by the wall. Anthony's bunny, Janine, jumped on Daphne's lap and nuzzled her stomach affectionately.

Goldstein nudged her side gently. "Hey, we're here to help. You obviously have magic in you; maybe it just needs to awaken."

The daughter of Persephone patted Janine's head. It was overwhelming, the whole magic thing. It was like she was defective, and she hated it. At camp, she had always been the best at everything. Now? She seemed like the worst person in their year. But Theo, her new friend from the kitchens, was probably the best. He excelled at every single lesson, and he was earning Slytherin a lot of points.

"It's October," Daphne said grumpily. "They should have already awakened. I've been here for a month already."

Lisa was about to reply when Michael Corner suddenly let out a loud yelp. He was looking at the mirror, and he paled like he had just seen a ghost (well, technically, a person got pale when a ghost went through them– seeing ghosts was actually very common).